Friend's new pool - I need help with this valve please

Rollercoastr

Gold Supporter
May 18, 2016
West Bloomfield, MI
Friends of mine just bought a home with an IG pool. Yesterday I delivered my house-warming gifts, which of course were a TF-100 and a SpeedStir. (I forgot to buy a bow. I blame Covid)

The setup is mostly what I expected, except for the valve and the waste line. The latter goes out of the pumphouse, couples to an iron elbow and pipe and goes underground. I didn't walk the whole yard, but I didn't see where it might discharge. Do some municipalities allow a sewer connection, or should we sweep the yard looking for an open end?

This valve is my immediate concern. I have a big ol' multivalve with clear labels. I don't know how to tell my friends how to operate this, and not being able to see waste water complicates matters. I've seen pictures of similar valves posted here, so I'm hoping someone can enlighten me.

IMG_5967.jpg

Last edited:
I have this valve. There should be a pin preventing it from being pushed down. 1/4 turn and push the handle down. That opens the top line, turn on the pump and it is now discharging from the sand filter. Turn off the pump, pull the handle back up and a 1/4 turn to close it. If you forget to do that (that would be me...) you will start draining your pool. There are a couple of O rings that may need to be lubed. Take the 2 top screws and one side screw out and the entire handle assembly can be removed. Do not over tighten the screws when you put it back together - they will crack the PVC easily.

My drain line runs out to the back of my yard (1 acre) so I don't know about sewer rules. I would think you should be able to see the water flowing out somewhere when the drain is running tho.

Last edited:
Correct. Regular sand flow or backwash the sand. I actually never heard of the rinse setting until I joined the forum.

Clarification: the 1/4 turn does not open/close the line, it prevents the handle connection from slipping down.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.