Fresh pool fill

Bille

Gold Supporter
Jul 30, 2018
Abingdon maryland
Hi guys,

Because we end up draining or pool every year (long story) this year we are going to just use chorine punks in a floater. This will be extra helpful because I will be traveling a lot this summer.

Anyway, the pool is almost refilled with fresh water and I have a question about the order of things. For now, I'm just using the local pool store to get the water correct. I have two things of shock to add once the pool is full.

But my question is, should I take a water sample to the pool store before I shock it, or 24 hours after shocking, 48 hours? Does it matter? If I remember correctly, the shock level will cause the other readings (ph, etc.) to be unstable?

Also, how quickly can I attempt to correct things? Add something new every 12 hours?

I haven't purchased a new test kit this year yet and I would like to get the pool up and running asap, so the pool store is the quickest route. I'll order a new kit soon and take over testing, but for now, I'd like to do it this way.

There are 3 immediate things you need to do with new water, and you really don't need the pool store:
1 - New water has no CYA. Add stabilizer for a CYA goal of about 40 for summer.
2 - Add liquid chlorine/regular bleach for a day one FC target of about 3 ppm. Day two and beyond balance the FC to the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.
3 - Balance the pH between 7.2- 7.8

That's really all you need to do until you receive a proper test kit. What you chose to do from there is certainly your choice. I'm sure the pool store will have their printout with a much different list of "to-dos" and cost. Be weary of their advice and testing. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.