Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi Ladies and Gents. Happy 4th.
Gunite was put in this week and it went well. At least until me and my 7 yr old (48" tall) got into the shallow end several days later and realized the slop of the shallow is wrong.
Specs for Grade in Plan:
3.5' sloping to 4' over a span of 15' 9" (It shouldn't be 4' till after you get to the seating ledge)

Current Grade (approx):
3.5' sloping to 4' over a span of 7'
My 7yr old, already wasn't going to have a huge play area where she and friends could touch, but now 2 steps off the back wall of shallow end she will be up to her eyeballs.

The deep end was to be 6', but they over dug the pool and it was 7'. They asked if I wanted to spray more gunite to raise it or keep it at 7' at no charge. So I chose 7' after he assured me the slope to the deep end would stay at the same location and not lose my shallow area.
What will the PB do? Discount? Level it out with a reapply?
How do you fix it? As an engineer, I'm thinking long term risk of coming in with 2nd application and the integrity.
Anybody here run into this before?
gunite2a.jpg

It is easier building up the floor then lowering it.

The built up floor is not structural. I think they can build it up with hydraulic cement. Maybe set some rebar into it and epoxy some rebar into the existing floor to combine the structures.

It is very doable and I would insist on it. Pools are reshaped when they are rehabbed.

Reactions: JeanZ1
Thanks ajw22, I'm about to email the manager and let him know. I'm going out to take a few measurements to quote the actual numbers. The issue I see is that it isn't just the shallow end that would be effected. The grade to the deep is all also. At the seating ledge it is supposed to be 4', so the slope from there to the deep 7' is incorrect.

You just tell them it is not correct and you want it fixed. Let them do all the measurements. and tell you what tehir corrective plan is. Then you double check their work.

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
I marked out the 4ft depth and the 5 ft depth, marked with red tape. At the 5ft tape, this is where it should be 4ft. So it should be 3.5ft to 4' out to where the 2nd tape is. So this means a the 3.5' to 4' transition needs to done, but then a new transition from the 4' to 7' needs to be done.Shallow Gradinga.jpg

Has anybody had to have this done before?
The pool 31' long, so the red tape is near the center, is the grade going from 4' to 7' over 15' distance.
I'm concerned about long term issues with cracking at the edge of the new concrete blending/transitioning at the walls.
Pebblesheen is going to be the finish.

Oops forgot to add photo.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.