Freezing weather

Also, some lessons learned. If I had to do this ALL over again, I’d have during the day done:

1. Backwash/rinse filter which also would serve to bring water level down to give more clearance to the coping (some of my ice shelf chipped two pieces of coping (purely a cosmetic issue)
2. Pull skimmer baskets
3. Open all valves, vent the filter to recapture as much water down through the plumbing
4. Dump heater and then pumps then lower filter plug
5. Open all glass see-through ports and check valves and leave them open

When I saw my cracked pipe during thawing, I noticed all my see-through ports and check valves had softball sized ice in them. When I removed the front plates, it gave them an area to expand. When I pulled the rubber check valves, I heard/felt/saw water rushing down the pipes, would've been nice to get more of that water through the check valves before the storm.

How did DE get all over your equipment?

Be careful handling DE. Breathing it in is not healthy. DE should not be in the air around people.

How did DE get all over your equipment?

Be careful handling DE. Breathing it in is not healthy. DE should not be in the air around people.

It wasn't powdered DE, the water inside the filter when I dumped the water, there was some DE sludge that is just around the pool equipment pad, the area needs a good hose down. The location of my filter and the bottom drain valve is in a real bad spot for draining. A gas pipe also borders the equipment pad kind allowing water to pool there. That's why I'd try to attempt to have majority of the filter water go back into the pipes rather than just straight dumping it. It was 2am and I was in a rush and frantic and my order of operation for draining was less than ideal.

When I scoop DE for the skimmer/charge, I wear a painters respirator type mask (attached pic).

Attachments

• 61tZGzLWYxL._AC_SL1138_.jpg
    61tZGzLWYxL._AC_SL1138_.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
My pad looked the same until the monsoon we had last night washed it off. I also got DE all over my tarps covering my equipment when I pulled the plug on the filter. They were a powdery and gritty mess and not fun to try and handle when I was trying to put everything back together.

Hopefully I never have to do that again, but if I do, I'm making a note to completely move the tarp and hose off the pad afterwards.

Reactions: DB-Cooper
Well my UV system cracked at the top and was shooting out water, hence my system kept tripping and would not reset. I was quoted $975 for a new one including installation, but I'm going to pass on that. Maybe in the future I'll reinstall if I feel I need one, but I think as long as I follow the CYA/Cholorine table I should be alright!
I'm just glad the UV is the only thing that got damaged, the system is up and running just fine now...WHEW!

Now it just gives me something to tinker with, I plan on taking the UV apart and see if I can get some good epoxy and do a repair. The crack is a hairline one and not very large.

I received my 2-1/8" PVC pipe insulation, so that will be going on sometime after I get the electrical heater tape to wrap around my pipes as well.
My plan for the next freeze, is to shut down the system earlier as soon as I seen ice forming in my water bottle barometer even if I have electricity. It wasn't that difficult to open plugs and get the system back up and running...well worth the trouble.

Also cracking the iceberg on the pool sooner, when it is much thinner, as oppose to waiting and have it get thicker. I wasn't going to crack the iceberg, but it seemed it was putting pressure on the fiberglass, so a cracking I did....just need to be very careful when doing this that's for sure!

Other than going through a Hurricane, this has been a good learning experience while having the climate change....yet again!

Reactions: DB-Cooper
Pool school finally happened two days ago, it was supposed to happen last week during the TX snowy icy weather. When asked how other customers are faring he said many have lost their heaters.

Thankfully we did okay, nothing was hooked up. We still have nothing hooked up but the pump and filter. Hopefully early next month, when our pool is a month in, they'll hook up our SWG, heater, cooler, and water level adjuster thing. The guy that came out was less than helpful. Glad hubby suffered through that 'pool school' and I skipped out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.