Freezing valve leak

wgmamc11

Oct 17, 2020
North Texas
I’ve just discovered my automated return valve apparently had a leak that froze into a nice icicle. In pool mode it’s set about halfway to allow spillover, and water is still flowing from all returns. Should I let it ride as-is, or should I shut everything off and drain? Have another 24hrs below freezing and then freezing nights after that.
Would a valve rebuild kit likely fix the leak, provided the body isn’t cracked? If the body is cracked, looks like I’ll have to replace a lot since nowhere to cut out this valve body. Thanks!

Attachments

• E415D086-711A-48C4-A0BD-9048C32E2276.jpeg
    E415D086-711A-48C4-A0BD-9048C32E2276.jpeg
    541.1 KB · Views: 14
Thanks y’all. Now I’m seeing my drain valve is stuck or maybe the spa drain line itself is frozen somewhere. I don’t seem to be getting any flow from spa drain. If I can manually turn that valve, should I just set both drain & return to halfway manually?

My freeze protect alternates 30mins each Pool (100% Pool drain, returns 50/50) and Spa (spa drain and returns only).

Ok, so the drain valve is not frozen and turns manually. Good flow from both pipes. However, the actuator won’t turn the valve automatically. I did check that the shaft is engaged in the gear train. It tries to run with a kind of grinding noise, but the diverter doesn’t turn. Do I likely need a new actuator/gear train? I believe it’s a Jandy 4424.

Ok, so the drain valve is not frozen and turns manually. Good flow from both pipes. However, the actuator won’t turn the valve automatically. I did check that the shaft is engaged in the gear train. It tries to run with a kind of grinding noise, but the diverter doesn’t turn. Do I likely need a new actuator/gear train? I believe it’s a Jandy 4424.

Remove the actuator from the valve and adjust the valve manually.

Put the toggle switch for the actuator in the middle OFF position.

Once things warm up you can examine the internal condition of the actuator.

Thanks for all the help! I set the returns 50/50 and set the drain to keep a little flow thru the spa but still maintain a spillover. I wrapped the spa piping in towels and tarped the equipment to hopefully compensate the low flow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.