St Augustine, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
This is our first pool with a cage and we have some freezing temps coming in the next week. Does the cage help against freezes and frost at all?

We have a couple of Christmas Palms that I’m concerned with, so just trying to get an understanding. We still plan on covering them to be safe.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

A cage, FL room, etc, helps to take some of the sting of a hard frost off the equipment, but it's not fool-proof. Much like us in the southern regions, we keep the water moving and hope there are no power outages. As long as water is moving you are in good shape. But it never hurts to have a Plan B. This could include things like pre-wrapping exposed pipes, the filter, and/or having a tarp or blanket available to drape over the equipment pad. Also be familiar with urgent care issues to protect the pump and filter from freeze expansions/bursting should you have a power outage when temps are below freezing. Know how to drain your equipment quickly if needed.

As for palms, some are very sensitive to extreme cold. I lost a few Sagos back in Feb '21, but those were not protected by any shelter. Grantid that was a very unusual weather event, but wrapping the trunks may not be a bad idea.

The back side of the pool is a planter box and that’s where our sheer descents are as well as the palms I’m concerned about. What if I ran the heater to hear the water to 80ish degrees and leave the pool on? Would that provide any additional heat in the cage area from the steam that it would create?

If you're worried about the Christmas Palms specifically, I don't see how the pool will provide any benefit to them. Any steam coming off from a pool that is 80-90 degrees will not provide any negligible heat to trees around the pool. Your best bet is to get a couple of frost blankets and cover the palms at night. You can find them at any hardware store (Lowes, HD, Rural King, etc.). We used to do that, but haven't for the last couple of years. No issues for us, but experts recommend frost blankets.

I know it sounded silly, but thought I would ask anyways. We will just cover them good.

I think Christmas palms are good to about 40 and we have a couple of nights in the 20’s coming at the end of the week.

Thank you all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.