Freeze protection trouble-shooting?

apv

Apr 30, 2019
Austin, TX
PV,

The timer has mechanical contacts that close only when the clock moves them to the closed position (when scheduled on) The timer is not really involved with the freeze protection, so it is not a timer issue.

When freezing, the thermostat closes an internal switch which applies 120/240 volts to the relay.. This closes the relay and basically bypasses the timer and turns on the pump.

You should be able to hear the relay close... If you can turn the thermostat and hear the relay turn on and off, that would be a good indication that the thermostat is working and the relay is bad...

If you have a meter, you can measure across the thermostat and you should measure about 240 volts when the thermostat is off and 0 when on..

This all assumes that the wiring is connected correctly and my guess is it is not.

Here is a diagram...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: apv
When freezing, the thermostat closes an internal switch which applies 120/240 volts to the relay.. This closes the relay and basically bypasses the timer and turns on the pump.

You should be able to hear the relay close... If you can turn the thermostat and hear the relay turn on and off, that would be a good indication that the thermostat is working and the relay is bad...

Hey Jim,

I tested the copper coil again, and when I dunk it in ice-water, you can hear an audible *clink* -- is it safe assume that sound is the relay closing?

Meaning that it reads the temp change correctly (thermostat is fine) but relay needs replacing?

apv,

A little hard to tell as the relay also makes a "clink" when it closes.. I would disconnect the thermostat from the relay and see if you still hear the noise..

You really need to be looking at voltages to troubleshoot.. Just because the thermostat or the relay makes a noise does not absolutely tell you that it is working.. The contacts could be bad and not letting any voltage through..

If I were on a desert island without a volt meter, I would have to "assume" the thermostat is OK..

Did you trace out all the wires and make sure that everything is wired correctly?

Thanks,

Jim R.

I had my neighbor come over and we tested it with his voltmeter -- and it looks like every thing checks out (thermostat and relay assembly) --- the problem appears to be that the wiring was just done plain wrong (and never worked).

In cases where the thermostat to timing motors wiring need be re-wired -- who does that sort of work? The pool guy? Or a license electrician?

My neighbor and I contemplated going at it -- but neither of have a whole day and multiple trips to the hardware store to fumble our way through it.

apv,

An electrician or a pool guy could do the job, but I'd want one that has some background in installing pool equipment. I suspect that it will just require moving a couple of wires, but no way to know that for sure.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.