Freeze protect - is my heater protected?

macdenewf

Oct 27, 2012
Spring, TX
Good morning. I had replaced my pool heater last year. I had a Jandy JXI 400k BTU installed.
With my older LXI - the water always circulated through the heater. With the new JXI - i think the water only circulates through the heater when the heater is actually on. Just dawned on me ( and i hope its not tool late) that if the water doesn't circulate through the heater - then when the freeze protect kids in - the water will circulate through the pumps keeping them from freezing but it won't circulate through the heater and that might freeze.
Anyone confirm if my thinking is correct?
If so - we had a hard freeze last night - the pumps have been running for about 12 hours so i know the freeze protect is working...should i try and fire up my heater and see if the water will flow?

Thanks Mac

Mac, do you have the optional Versaflo bypass on your JXI heater?

As long as you have no manual bypass valves you will have water flowing through the heater even with the Versaflo bypass. The Versaflo bypass stops most of the water but allows a small flow through.

Jandy gives the following guidance in the JXI heater manual:

• Do not operate the heater if the water temperature is below 40 °F (4°C)
  • Short term operation of heater when temps are below 40F can continue but continuous flow must be maintained.
  • Prolonged operation with water below 50F can seriously damage the heater and is not covered by warranty.
  • It is recommended that vent runs over 18 feet be insulated to reduce condensation and use a condensate trap in the vent run close to the heater, especially in cold climate installations.
  • If the heater is to be operated in below freezing conditions it should be installed in a protected outdoor shelter.

Mac, do you have the optional Versaflo bypass on your JXI heater?

As long as you have no manual bypass valves you will have water flowing through the heater even with the Versaflo bypass. The Versaflo bypass stops most of the water but allows a small flow through.

Jandy gives the following guidance in the JXI heater manual:

• Do not operate the heater if the water temperature is below 40 °F (4°C)
  • Short term operation of heater when temps are below 40F can continue but continuous flow must be maintained.
  • Prolonged operation with water below 50F can seriously damage the heater and is not covered by warranty.
  • It is recommended that vent runs over 18 feet be insulated to reduce condensation and use a condensate trap in the vent run close to the heater, especially in cold climate installations.
  • If the heater is to be operated in below freezing conditions it should be installed in a protected outdoor shelter.
Im pretty certain my JXI has that diverter valve where the water doesnt flow through the heater when its in pool mode. I just called the installer and he confirmed that the water doesnt go through the heater unless heat is called for. Strange Jandy would not enable the valve to open when it its freeze protect temps. going to try and fire it up and see what happens. If its not busted already i'll just turn the spa on and off periodically when it gets cold. Heres hoping its not toast already

Don't fire up the heater.

See post #3 above.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.