Freeze Preparations (TX, LA, GA, AL, FL, etc)

So like most of the country we got hit with a quick freeze last night. Here in Atlanta temperatures are in the teens with it staying below freezing for the next three days. Last night the power went out and so to reduce risk, I drained my equipment (Hayward sand filter and VSP). So the above ground plumbing looks to be clear of water. This morning, when the power turned back on, I went to restart and am struggling to get one of the water valves for the pump back on due to ice being in the thread. Should I just wait until the temperatures get above freezing in a few days or is there risk to the underground plumbing breaking if I don't get the pump running? There is water still in the skimmer and underground plumbing since I just did a quick drain last night without the power on. Any help would really be appreciated!
Thanks,
Charlie

If you haven't already seen, we have a new thread here about this recent storm.

Let me start by saying, I absolutely HATE, with the power of a billion suns, the iAqualink set up on my pump. It constantly drops connection and refuses to reconnect for days. Magically, at random times, it will connect randomly.

Yesterday, hours before the Polar Vortex descended on my below the Mason Dixon line city, was one of those unmagical days. I tried multiple times, unsuccessfully, to reconnect to verify the Freeze protection was turned on (I never turn it off, so I wasn't worried), but, of course, could not connect.

This morning we wake up to no water moving in the pool and the water in the pump (and I'm assuming pipes) frozen.

What do we do? I turned the pump off manually, so it -shouldn't- turn on (but this thing is Satan, so it might just to be evil). Do we try to thaw anything or just wait and pray it thaws? What should we look for as far as complications?

Thanks for any help.

Tony (@TonyR68), my advice:
1 - Yes, as long as you still have power and water moving through the system,
2 - Your choice. If #1 is still working no need, but if you decide or elect to drain, commit to it and do it quickly.
3 - No
4 - No. Drain the heater if you elect to shut the system down.

Good luck!

Last edited:
@Rhonda_M , take action now to try and open all drain caps. Open the pump clear lid if you can. See if you can provide areas for residual water to seep out before expansions occur if things aren't 100% frozen inside. Did you wrap exposed pipes and equipment on the pad in advance? If not, you might look into covering everything and carefully (avoiding water) hanging a light under the covering to help provide some warmth. Some might recommend pouring hot water over the pipes or equipment. That might help, but I would also be concerned about the immediate shock and heat transfer/reaction between the hot & cold. Plus you'll end up with more water all over the place that will freeze quickly. But do what you can and post back with results or more questions. I'm sure others will reply.

Last edited:
Should I just wait until the temperatures get above freezing in a few days
Now that you've drained, just leave it for a couple days. Place some foam pool noodles or a plastic jug (half filled) into the skimmer to help protect it from expansion. Maybe cover the skimmer lid with something as well to preotec from direct exposure.

As I write this, it is 13F outside, pump still running great. Only issue was tarp moved a little and skimmer lid got uncovered and wet and froze shut. I was able to use a pocket knife and easily break the thin ice bond between the lid and housing in a matter of seconds to clean more leaves out once again.
I used old welcome mats to cover the skimmer lids & auto fill lids last year. It helped keep them free of ice. Hoping it warms up quickly for all of us!

edited to say: For those of you pulling the plug and draining, don’t forget to shut the breakers off to your equipment pad.

Last edited:
Now that you've drained, just leave it for a couple days. Place some foam pool noodles or a plastic jug (half filled) into the skimmer to help protect it from expansion. Maybe cover the skimmer lid with something as well to preotec from direct exposure.
Thank you @Texas Splash ! I put pool noodles in the skimmer and will wait until it gets above freezing to turn back on. Praying for no damage.

@Rhonda_M , take action now to try and open all drain caps. Open the pump clear lid if you can. See if you can provide areas for residual water to seep out before expansions occur if things aren't 100% frozen inside. Did you wrap exposed pipes and equipment on the pad in advance? If not, you might look into covering everything and carefully (avoiding water) hanging a light under the covering to help provide some warmth. Some might recommend pouring hot water over the pipes or equipment. That might help, but I would also be concerned about the immediate shock and heat transfer/reaction between the hot & cold. Plus you'll end up with more water all over the place that will freeze quickly. But do what you can and post back with results or more questions. I'm sure others will reply.
Thanks for the reply. I have removed all the caps and the clear pump lid. The water in the pump reservoir was not frozen solid, but everything leaving it and the filter tank must be because when I turned the pump on for a few seconds there was no water flow. No water came out when I removed the filter cap; I can feel the ice in the drain.

I'm in TN and the temp right now is 2 with a wind chill of -17. Tonight is going to be below zero. I think we're screwed.
I'm so angry at this stupid iAqualink piece of Crud! It's too cold to be outside for more than 10 minutes at a time, so I feel really helpless right now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At this point, I wouldn't try to run the pump unless you are sure water can move freely. With the pump pot exposed, you might try pouring some warm-to-hot water in there slowly to help thaw out any frozen ice. If you can open your filter (i.e cart or DE), pull the lid and do the same. If nothing else try to save your pump and filter from expansion. If you can manage to get enough warmth across all the equipment and plumbing you might be able to free-up water circulation again. If not, just leave everything open and empty to drain, but be sure to cover once you are done trying to thaw things out. Also protect the skimmer with pool noodles or a plastic bottle half full.

I was in the same situation during Uri. I ran a small space heater out to the pump, pulled the drain plugs and in no time water was draining out and I had no damage. (I had no power to run the pump). Also, don't be afraid to sacrifice some blankets and pillows. Those are cheaper to replace.

Reactions: Rhonda_M
Power went off last night at about 1 AM, and the temperature was about 16°. I turned off the breakers. Then I drained the main pump and waterfall pump and also removed the filter basket covers. I drained the cartridge filter canister and released the air pressure valve. I drained the heater. I opened the top of the in-line chlorinator. When opening the tops of the filter baskets and chlorinator, they were already starting to freeze shut, and there were very thin sheets of ice inside.

I did not blow out the lines, as I did not know how to do it. I suspect I would need a compressor, and I do not have one.

Power came back on at 8 am. The forecast calls for below freezing temperatures all day, and to rise barely above freezing tomorrow afternoon for a short time before falling below freezing again until Christmas day afternoon. That should be the end of the freezing temperatures here in south Texas.

Question: Should I leave the system alone until this Siberian Christmas is over, or should I restart it now that the power is on?

Question: Should I leave the system alone until this Siberian Christmas is over, or should I restart it now that the power is on?
I would leave all as is. No sense putting it all back together and find a leak or yet have another power outage tonight. It seems you got it all figured out. I would add pool noodles or plastic water bottles to the skimmers to prevent and ice forming and cracking the skimmers. Leave the cover off of the pump and chlorinator to allow expansion of any water that is remaining.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Shaking Winter Solstice GIF by funk

One thing I didn't think about was the wind! It's like a hurricane out there. A chase blew into the deep end so had to fish that out quickly and then secure all our furniture. Been emptying out the skimmer baskets a few times today and collecting all the leaves with the net throughout the day. I was going to cover the equipment with a tarp or moving blankets but not going to bother now since the wind is way too strong. I have my bubblers going as well which is making the water quite choppy (which I assume is good and helps with keeping water moving and not still)

Reactions: FNG
I was in the same situation during Uri. I ran a small space heater out to the pump, pulled the drain plugs and in no time water was draining out and I had no damage. (I had no power to run the pump). Also, don't be afraid to sacrifice some blankets and pillows. Those are cheaper to replace.
I've got a space heater out there right now. It's tented with blankets and then heavy duty plastic over the blankets. I'm hoping there will be enough heat to thaw it so I can run the pump. I'm perplexed as to why the freeze prevention didn't keep the pump going overnight. So aggravating because a running pump would've prevented this.

Went thru the Texas freeze Feb '21 and had ice then, but this is bizarre. I am pointing my phone camera west (north is to the right) wind from the north all night. Pump running under freeze protection 1850 rpm with maybe 10-15% through the spa. This formation is entirely from the spillover water and wind. There's been no rain or sprinkler run in four days. No one has touched it. A few birds have been drinking at the spillover since the birdbath is frozen. If I had a video, it might show how this ice grew, then fell, then continued growing. All nature.IceSpa.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.