Southlake, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I live in TX and have freeze mode enabled on my Pentair system, which seems to work fine on the pool and spa. My pool and spa are run off the same pump so freeze mode is only enabled on the pool circuit. The problem I'm having is when my daily schedule kicks-in. The daily schedule triggers a higher RPM on the pool which is ok, but when it switches to spa mode, the spa drains.

Is there a way to disable the daily schedule when freeze mode is active? If not, any ideas why my spa would drain when it transitions from freeze mode to daily schedule? I have two actuators, which I'm assuming is the source of the problem. TY.

Yes, I have screenlogic and can adjust my daily schedule. I was trying to find a way to avoid having to do that every time it freezes. It seems the freeze mode and daily schedule should somehow sync-up. Currently, the daily schedule takes priority. I'd prefer to flip them so I don't have the 'spa drain' issue when the daily schedule kicks in during freezing temps.

Blue,

Normally, freeze control takes priority over daily schedules, so I am not sure what is going on for you.

As an example.. If you have Pool mode scheduled to run 24/7, when freeze control kicks in the system would switch between Pool and Spa modes every 15 minutes while freeze control is on. This assume both pool and spa circuits are under freeze control.

Freeze control will not change things that are not related to freeze control.

If freeze control is supposed to run a pump at say 1200 RPM and your normal schedule say to run the pump at 2000, the pump will run at 2000 RPM.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Freeze control is not enabled on my spa. I understand this is because my pool and spa run off the same pump so when freeze control kicks-in for the pool, it also activates water through the spa. That seems to work fine.

The issue is when spa mode is activated (4pm-5pm daily), during freezing weather, the spa drains. Apparently, there's an issue with the system when it tries to pivot from freeze mode to spa mode. I can get around this by simply deactivating my schedule, but that seems inefficient to have to do that each time it freezes.

Why is spa mode scheduled for each day if you are constantly circulating water through the spa?

Freeze control is not enabled on my spa. I understand this is because my pool and spa run off the same pump so when freeze control kicks-in for the pool, it also activates water through the spa. That seems to work fine.

The issue is when spa mode is activated (4pm-5pm daily), during freezing weather, the spa drains. Apparently, there's an issue with the system when it tries to pivot from freeze mode to spa mode. I can get around this by simply deactivating my schedule, but that seems inefficient to have to do that each time it freezes.
Same set up. With my Pentair, I have pool and spa set on freeze protect. It cycles between the two every 30 minutes. I don't think you are activating water through the spa, suction and return, and are just bypassing some pool return to spa for spillover.

Why is spa mode scheduled for each day if you are constantly circulating water through the spa?
From what I can tell, it's the only time the spa drain is active and pulling water. You're correct that there is no change with the spa return, since that's also active in pool mode. Should I adjust the actuator so it constantly pulls from pool and spa?

Under normal operating, there is no need to pull from the spa drain when not using spa mode. That daily one hour spa mode setting is unnecessary.

Under freeze protection, you should be pulling from the spa drain (at least a little) and returning to the spa return.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.