Freeze issue

mike1331

May 5, 2022
Penna.
I have a 16 X 32 inground pool. I was brushing down the walls yesterday and I must have tore the vinyl liner near the bottom because I have lost about 12 inches of water overnight. The liner is about 16 years old, and we were planning to replace it in spring anyway. Can I just leave it drain out, or should I try to fix the liner. If it empties itself, is there a chance that when the ground freezes this winter, it will push the walls in ?? I live in Northeast Pa. about 90 miles North of Phila. I believe I see the tear. It is a slit about 2 inches long in the deep end. Thanks, Mike

That stinks. :( I would be worried about all the water leaking out and damaging your pool base and perhaps wall stability. I would be inclined to patch it. If you leave it, I would anticipate additional work next spring, but let's see what others might have to say before you take the plunge. :snorkle:

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thanks Texas Splash for your reply. I never thought about additional damage from the water leaking out. I just did some measuring. There is still 5 feet of water in the pool. I actually fell in this morning reaching over the side. Stop laughing. The slit is still 2 feet down yet from the top of the water. I do not see any indents in the liner where the water is going so far. I could pump out the rest of the water, if your all feel that the freezing ground will not push in the sidewalls. There is a three foot cement walkway around two sides of the pool. the other two ends the cement walkway is about 5 feet. Other suggestions, please.

How close is the pool to the house ? Do you have a basement ?

It's entirely possible your pool is into the natural sand and it will all drain immediately below the pool. It's also entirely possible it floods your basement once the surrounding dirt/sand gets saturated. (If you have one, but most do in the northeast).
I could pump out the rest of the water, if your all feel that the freezing ground will not push in the sidewalls
You need to patch and refill the pool. It's too risky to leave it unsupported for the winter.

+1 for. patching. Like, right away. Most (all?) pools depend on the water as part of their structure. The water keeps vinyl liners in place, and the dirt surrounding the pool from collapsing. Even concrete pools don't like being empty. It's bad for the plaster and with enough surrounding ground water the pool can literally float out of the ground. I don't know about the surrounding ground freezing, I'd be more worried about it being saturated. I know you're not worried about the old liner, but if the surrounding dirt moves, it'll complicate the replacement. If it moves a lot, you could be looking at an expensive repair, to ready for the new liner, and possibly to your deck, too.

Fixing 'Perched' Water Behind a Vinyl Liner| Pool & Spa NewsFloating Liners | Alameda Pools — Alameda PoolsWater behind Pool Liner, and a fix | Trouble Free PoolFamily's pool pops out of ground after it's drained

Last edited:
This is just one of the problems that can happen when a vinyl pool gets low. Imagine the force the water is applying to the surrounding materials, and what could happen to those materials if that force is eliminated, especially when it becomes wet from the leaking pool, or the coming rains.

float.jpg

Reactions: Newdude
Thanks everyone for the replies. Here is additional info. There is a four ft. steel liner around the pool at the top obviously, and it has steel reinforcement angles going on a 45 degree angle down. Then they poured about 12 inches of concrete around the outside of the pool to lock everything in. The deeper end, where it is more than 4ft. is vermiculite. Does this change any of your suggestions ?? Thanks again, Mike

Does this change any of your suggestions ?
No. The pool water is still critical to the operation. Wall damage easily becomes un repairable. If so, your only option is to build a bigger pool which would then be on fresh undisturbed earth. Your repair would cost what a new build does, plus removal of the old pool.

Patches are cheap. And seeing how you're replacing the liner anyway, you don't even care if it's ugly for the winter. It only needs to work.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The company that replaced my liner 8 years ago was telling me about a pool they wen't out to inspect. Similar situation, liner failure in the fall. They covered it and left it empty over winter. When they took the cover off in the spring, the walls were pushed in due to freezing water in the ground.

• Wow
Reactions: Dirk
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.