Freeze Guard Question

Mar 27, 2013
Dallas, TX
My automatic valves have been acting up recently, so I removed them with the plan of replacing them next season. I was wondering though since my pool has an automated freeze guard that switches between pool and spa mode how I'll do it manually during the freezing months this winter. My idea was to open each valve halfway so both the pool and the spa are "on" at the same time - even though they'd only be half on. Will that work, or will there not be enough flow? If it won't work, how do people without automatic valves handle freeze prevention?

I'm sure this goes without saying, but I run and maintain the pool year round so we can use the hot tub when it's 10* outside. :)

Thanks in advance!

On freezing nights we just turn the pump on and run it overnight.

Skippy covers the equipment with moving blankets and a tarp, with a small hanging light underneath during the coldest of nights. But they're pretty few for the most part.

On freezing nights we just turn the pump on and run it overnight.

Skippy covers the equipment with moving blankets and a tarp, with a small hanging light underneath during the coldest of nights. But they're pretty few for the most part.

Do you have any valves though, or is it all just one system? If I didn't have an attached spa that's what I'd do too, but either my pool is on or my spa is on - neither at the same time. Unless, of cource, my idea will work and I have the two valves opened halfway so technically they're both running at the same time.

I think you'll be fine turning both valves halfway open to allow both pool and spa to circulate.

(ha!ha! I'll pass your compliments on the fountain to Skippy :batman: but its just gonna give him a big head...)

Yippee :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.