Free chlorine, Ph, & alkalinity all low....help

Our friends that were helping maintain our pool went on vacation and didn't fill the chlorine tablets before they left. We came home to a green pool, which I promptly shocked over night. In the morning the green was gone and pool a little cloudy. That was last Friday. Since then we've gotten the pool clear, but the free chlorine, Ph, and alkalinity are all low. I've added over 4 gallons of liquid chlorine, there are a total of 4 floaters with tablets in them, 2 have 2 tablets w/the other 2 having 1. I also have 2 tablets in skimmer, an idea my friend had been doing while maintaining for us. The tablets I am using are HTH 7-in-1, I believe.

Please help!!! My pool is an in ground 26,000gal pool w/an external sand filter. I do not know all the details as far as manufacturer info. I do have a run that I have been running 24hrs a day since Saturday.

Hi Chelley, We can help you take control of the pool. Start reading in Pool School, best place to start is the ABCs of pool water chemistry. As you'll learn the pucks you are using are causing issues for you and making it more difficult to maintain proper levels. Read through the how to chlorinate your pool section to see why.

Your going to need to purchase a quality test kit. I have the TF-100 available at tftestkits.net, the other option is the Taylor K2006c. Which ever one you get I would recommend getting the speed stir, I didn't buy one with my kit and I wish I would have.

Hi Chelley, We can help you take control of the pool. Start reading in Pool School, best place to start is the ABCs of pool water chemistry. As you'll learn the pucks you are using are causing issues for you and making it more difficult to maintain proper levels. Read through the how to chlorinate your pool section to see why.

Your going to need to purchase a quality test kit. I have the TF-100 available at tftestkits.net, the other option is the Taylor K2006c. Which ever one you get I would recommend getting the speed stir, I didn't buy one with my kit and I wish I would have.

Thank you! I got a new test kit and it showed my chlorine levels are good.

Chelley:

I had a similar problem more then once - all before discovering this forum. There is a HUGE difference in the test kits that I just did not appreciate until I finally ponied up for a TF-100 kit. As mentioned, get the Speed-Stir.

You will want to test all the chemicals and post results here, lots of help will arrive soon thereafter.

AVOID TABLETS!!!! I have owned a pool for 12 years and have had to drain and refill 4 times to get my chemicals under control. I can go longer if I buy pool store brand tablets. I tried the tabs at Sam's and Costco, they turn my pool into a circus faster than pool store brand, and the ones at HomeDepot/Lowes caused my pool to become a circus run by monkeys in a year. In other words, 7 in 1 tabs have 6 ingredients that screw up the chemistry and not enough of the one ingredient you need - chlorine. My problems in the past have all been tied to CYA and tablets, more particularly, CYA derived from tablets. The years I used "multi-purpose tablets" things would appear better for a very short time and then go all haywire.

I converted to the Trouble Free Pool Care system this year. Some members refer to it as the BBB (Bleach, Borax, Baking Soda) method. I explained to a friend that it is more akin to "if it ain't on the laundry isle of Kroger, it ain't going in my pool" which is a little over simplified but you get the idea. Follow the advice here, my pool has never been more clear, the water has never been softer, and despite the fact it is not a typical hot Texas summer, we have used the pool more this year (and we still have two months left in the season) than we have in the previous 3 years combined.

While you are waiting on a good test kit - grab a couple samples, take them to different pool stores (if that is an option) even if more than one is the same "band". Samples taken same day from same pool to different stores and you will likely get different results. I did this, my last act before taking control myself, and got three different chlorine,Ph,TA, and Calcium readings. At least all three agreed my CYA was "TOO HIGH". Two stores said drain 10-15" of water, top off and bring is another sample tomorrow; the 3rd offered to sell me some chemical ($29.99 per pack and suggested I get 5 to start), the two that were the same brand said to put in a phosphate remover, the independent store said not to worry about it. Based on past experience I knew the drain a little and top off would be repeated far too many time and every trip to the Pool Store was met with a smile and a suggestion I dump a quart or a gallon of chemical in the pool and come back tomorrow with another sample - so I drained and started with a fresh fill but my pool uses a lot less water than yours, so get advice from the experts here on how much to drain (if that is the suggestion).

The point of this exercise is two parts: (1) with at least three samples tested at different stores you can get a decent idea of what is going on (law of averages); and (2) you will gain first hand knowledge of why you need to be in control of your own tests.

Finally, as already said: get your own test kit, spend the money on a good one, read the Pool School section and post your test results here to get recommendations from people that want to help instead of a chemical dealer who wants to sell you something.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.