Free chlorine and total chlorine both high?

custix

Feb 7, 2021
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I just started noticing that the total chlorine indicator on my test strips is well beyond the highest color level (should be almost white), but the free chlorine level is also quite high. While the levels appear similar, it might be fair to say that the CC is higher than FC.

The water looks clear, no obvious smell, and otherwise nothing seems to be an issue. Currently I'm running a boost on the salt system in attempt to mini-shock the pool.

Is this the right course of action? Are both levels being high normal?

We did just have a hurricane come through, but beyond some extra dirt and needing to clean the filter, nothing else has happened to the water.

Thanks for any insights.

Last edited:
You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 / TFPRO or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

Once you have actual test data, post them here and we can provide guidance on managing your pool water chemistry.

We don't put any faith in the accuracy of test strips. Do yourself and your pool a favor and order one of the recommended test kits so we can speak the same language. Liquid chlorine/bleach is quicker to use rather than stress your SWG on any kind of superchlorinate function.

Beyond the test kit - which you do need - you may be thinking about these in the wrong way. The relationship is TC = FC + CC. Having both TC and FC high (and equal) is good, because that means CC is near zero.

Examples: TC = 10, FC = 9, then you have 10 = 9 + CC, so CC has to be 1. If you have TC = FC = 10, then it's 10 = 10 + CC, so CC has to be 0; perfect.

The difference between CC=1 and CC=0 is a big deal. The first probably means something growing in the water and pool may soon be green. The second means you're good. That's why you need the test kit. The strips aren't anywhere near precise enough to see this difference.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.