Free chlorine 48ppm???

Hholly

May 10, 2019
Warren, IN
Hi all!
Well since my pool has been opened for a few weeks I thought it best to do a water test using my TFT100 test kit. Originally I used my chemicals from 2 years ago that have been good the past 2 years. I performed the initial drop test in theyellow side of the block doohinky, as well as the pH test on the other side of the doohinky. So as soon as I started the drops on the yellow side for chlorine, it turned Amber Orange. So in my mind it was just old chemicals. Better get a new test kit! The pH at that time was about 8.2. So I ordered a new test kit. Well it came today. I tested again. Again Amber Orange for the chlorine. And now 7.8 for the pH. The cya tested at 100 or more. So I did the other chlorine test and it took 98 drops to get the solution from pink to clear. And then I tested chloramines... barely any.
Since opening the pool we have added 3 gallons of liquid shock and filled the chlorine tablet chlorinator. Our pool is approximately 25,000 gallons, or 18' x 36' with a 9 ft deep end.
Any thoughts??
Thanks in advance!

Something seems suspect.

You're using a 10ml water sample, adding a scoop of DPD powder and then 0871?

3 gallons of even 12.5% chlorine in 25,000 gallons would yield 15ppm and surely much or all of that would burn off in 3 weeks. You'd have to use 13 pucks to get to 48ppm FC without any FC loss.

I'm interested in hearing what the experts say.

Not sure. More concerned about your CYA being higher than 100 with pucks loaded in adding even more. Can you do a diluted CYA test? 5ml plain water, 5ml pool water. Same test, but double the result.

Take those pucks out too. You’ll have to do a partial drain and refill which will bring the chlorine down.

Reactions: needsajet
Glad you replaced your test reagents :)

Sounds like a pool with very high CYA level. You might need to dilute it even more to find out how high. I like to dilute a bit larger amount of water so for example use the comparator block to measure, e.g. 25 mls pool water, then 25 mls tap water (for half dilution), with both poured into something else. If need be, 25 mls pool water, and two x 25 mls tap water, then multiply CYA result by 3, etc., if needs be.

Using a measuring cup and doing 1 cup pool water, poured into another container, then 1 cup tap water, measured the same, will be even better.

Stir it up, then draw your sample for CYA testing from your mix.

Tap water dilution is fine for testing CYA because no one would add CYA to a home water supply. For any other tests, dilution is not advised.

Reactions: Hholly
Also... if your FC is really at 48 that would be 48 drops with a 5 ml sample, or 96 drops with a 10 ml sample and I can't even count that high with a 25 ml sample.. anything close to 50 drops will generate an unreliable result...I would do a dilution test with for FC as well, but you will have to dilute with distilled water since your tap water probably has chlorine in it... no better yet why waste the reagent.. you need to let it drift down and at 5ppm average loss per day it will be awhile. So test every other day with a 5 ml sample.. that is 1ppm per drop until you get some reasonable numbers, If you have to do a drain and refill to get the CYA down.. well that will do it to.

You can also knock the FC down fast with sodium thiosulphate, possibly sold at your local pool store as Chlorine Reducer or Remover. I won't mention the other way, but it involves a lot of beer drinking.
Or a bunch of 5 year-olds... At that age they may be potty trained, but bladder control in cool water.. well you get my drift... And if you combine that with NeedsAJet's suggestion.. a little IPA in a sippy cup never hurt anyone.

Reactions: Hholly and Newdude
Ok. Drained about 8 inches of the pool water and refilled. Chlorine is now about 30ppm. Just did the 1/2 pool water 1/2 tap CYA test and I believe the final level is about 110ppm. We have decided we must drain and refill the entire thing. 🙁

Oh well, I always heard that a swimming pool was a hole in the ground that you keep throwing money into. Lol.😂
In the meantime, is it safe to get in the thing??? Don't know how long it will take to get new water delivered and we are having guests the week of Memorial Day.
Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.

Your minimum FC is about 8 ppm.

Ok y'all. I have an update!
We tried in vain to find a water delivery company in our area to bring us new water. So hubby went to the closest pool store and asked who they recommend. Well they knew someone. But they also suggested trying the Natural Chemistry CYA removal kit. We thought, "What the hay? Might as well try it!'
So by this time, our chlorine was low since I had shut down the chlorinator. This kit contains a chlorine neutralizer which is step 1. I called the company and asked if we needed to use that since our chlorine was already low. They said no need. So we went directly to Step 2. You dissolve this stuff in a bucket of warm water and dump it in your skimmer. The directions tell you the full effect may take 7-10 days. So 24 hours later we tested CYA using our TFT test as well as their strips. And... CYA=0!!! I did the test multiple times since and still ZERO! The water has been milky since. We have added some borax, and shock and CYA conditioner, trying to get back on track. And so far, it's starting to clear. Our TA has been over 200. pH is 7.4, free chlorine is now about 5. But, holy Crud, that stuff actually worked! I was super sceptical. But this stuff seems to have saved us a bunch of money.

Ok y'all. I have an update!
We tried in vain to find a water delivery company in our area to bring us new water. So hubby went to the closest pool store and asked who they recommend. Well they knew someone. But they also suggested trying the Natural Chemistry CYA removal kit. We thought, "What the hay? Might as well try it!'
So by this time, our chlorine was low since I had shut down the chlorinator. This kit contains a chlorine neutralizer which is step 1. I called the company and asked if we needed to use that since our chlorine was already low. They said no need. So we went directly to Step 2. You dissolve this stuff in a bucket of warm water and dump it in your skimmer. The directions tell you the full effect may take 7-10 days. So 24 hours later we tested CYA using our TFT test as well as their strips. And... CYA=0!!! I did the test multiple times since and still ZERO! The water has been milky since. We have added some borax, and shock and CYA conditioner, trying to get back on track. And so far, it's starting to clear. Our TA has been over 200. pH is 7.4, free chlorine is now about 5. But, holy Crud, that stuff actually worked! I was super sceptical. But this stuff seems to have saved us a bunch of money.
Better post the name of that product, people are going to want to check it out!

Up until now, many on here have tried various CYA removal products with little or no success for almost all of them.

Better post the name of that product, people are going to want to check it out!

Up until now, many on here have tried various CYA removal products with little or no success for almost all of them.
It's called Natural Chemistry CYA Removal Kit. Pretty sure it's widely available. We found it at our local pool supply store. Our problem now is getting the CYA back to where it will stabilize the Chlorine.

The stuff attempts to mimic the natural bacteria found in nature that decomposes CYA into ammonia and then to nitrites. The issue is that takes two different bacteria, and since no other attempts have ever worked when properly vetted on the forum, this is new. It is very important that the FC be zero for some time before the process can occur. If the pool is holding FC, the bacteria should be dead.

Was the CYA tested just prior to adding the chemical?

Reactions: Hholly and mguzzy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.