Free chlorine 48ppm???

The stuff attempts to mimic the natural bacteria found in nature that decomposes CYA into ammonia and then to nitrites. The issue is that takes two different bacteria, and since no other attempts have ever worked when properly vetted on the forum, this is new. It is very important that the FC be zero for some time before the process can occur. If the pool is holding FC, the bacteria should be dead.

Was the CYA tested just prior to adding the chemical?
The cya was over 100 before adding the chemical. At that point there was no chlorine in the pool as I had waited since the hyperchlorination and turned off my chlorinator. So yes chlorine was at zero. After the treatment, cya was at zero, water turned cloudy like milk, and we have shocked it twice. And added some conditioner. It is finally starting to clear.

I doubt I am the first. It almost sounds like you are doubting my word. I posted this to help other people who may have the same problem.
I don’t think he’s doubting you, it’s just that so many others have tried similar stuff and it ended up not working. When I first started out, even the pool store owner said the stuff didn’t work. Hopefully this stuff actually did work and not cause a secondary issue.

Reactions: Hholly
So far so good. I have called the 800 number of the company to ask about the mechanism of how the product works and what side effects are produced. The lady is going to find out and call me back. But yes, the CYA is still gone. I have had to add some back to get the chlorine to stay. If anyone wants to ask any questions about my experience with it, I will answer.

Were you able to get the cya back up easily? (As in put in a specific amount and it raised your CYA the amount you expected it to)
I have just been adding some to a skimmer sock a bit at a time. I'm afraid to add too much at once since that's what got me in trouble in the first place. There is still not enough to keep chlorine stable but it's getting there.

I have just been adding some to a skimmer sock a bit at a time. I'm afraid to add too much at once since that's what got me in trouble in the first place. There is still not enough to keep chlorine stable but it's getting there.
Are you using pool math to calculate how much to add? It's fairly accurate and you won't end up overshooting if you go like 25% under the recommended full dose.

Thanks! No. I've just been winging it. I do use the pool math app sometimes. Just been guesstimating. I have finally gotten some cya to read on the test. Today, the water is sparkly. So we're on the right track. Had chloramines still as of last night. Haven't tested today. Will check again tomorrow.

Reactions: needsajet
What was your FC before you added this? Was it at zero? How long did you leave the FC low? I'm afraid of leaving FC below minimum levels and then having algae growth.

yeah like Dan says, Use the PoolMath app to calculate how much CYA will raise the CYA concentration to a particular level for you pool. Then try to add that amount and when you test if you don't hit the mark (or close to it) then you will know there is still residual product consuming the CYA. Don't Wing it, you have the tools available to you with pool math and testing to be able to calculate what is going on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What was your FC before you added this? Was it at zero? How long did you leave the FC low? I'm afraid of leaving FC below minimum levels and then having algae growth.
My FC was very low. So low, I didn't need to use Step One of the kit. Nothing turned green. But we have a cover on it most of the time. It went through a cloudy phase. I have been trying to rebalance it ever since. The CYA is at about 30 since I added a container of stabilizer. But then I realized my Total Alkalinity was way too high (200 or more). So I have been adding acid. I have had to add gallons of shock. But now it's clear and pretty. Just trying to get the TA down and the pH up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.