Fourth year pool owner finally discovering the ways of TFP

andreasfelder

May 20, 2020
Rochester, NY
Hi,

I am on my forth year with my fiberglass pool. I have always followed the pool stores advise. Realized now with reading through the info here and lots of posts how much they lead me the wrong way. Just wow!!!

So first year doing the TFP system and also decided to to switch to salt with SWG.

The reason I started looking at TFP was that the pool store couldn't explain to me what CYA actually does to chlorine and I found this site which is gold. So my CYA was up to 100. So I dumped a bunch of water and got it down to 60. Now I wanted to slam the pool per the guides here as I keep having a higher CC level of 1.5 and my FC drop is high.

For testing I have always used the Tyler kit which works great. I often get the pool store test as a sanity check and it's usually close to my values so I think I am testing correctly.

So to my actual question when I slam the pool when do you usually check FC and CC levels? Like when I poor in the LC how long should I wait before I check the effect aka how long to wait to ensure it had time to mix? I can probably check it hourly after or is that too much?
The pool does look clear however the CC level concerns me.

I love this community already based on all the other posts.

Your signature does show - if you're on a mobile device you have to turn it sideways to make it show. :)

When you SLAM you check FC as often as you can, up to every 30 minutes. You don't need to check to make sure you added the right amount - you test, figure out how much you need to add for the increase you want, and then add the chlorine. It will be in there and working. When you test, it's to see how much it's dropped so you can add more.

That said - if your water is clear, a SLAM might not be needed to get rid of the CCs. Do you cover your pool or is it open to the sun?

Your signature does show - if you're on a mobile device you have to turn it sideways to make it show. :)

When you SLAM you check FC as often as you can, up to every 30 minutes. You don't need to check to make sure you added the right amount - you test, figure out how much you need to add for the increase you want, and then add the chlorine. It will be in there and working. When you test, it's to see how much it's dropped so you can add more.

That said - if your water is clear, a SLAM might not be needed to get rid of the CCs. Do you cover your pool or is it open to the sun?

I have not covered my pool. it is always open. Once we start using the pool we do use a solar cover however we have not used it this year yet.

hi there andrea :wave: skippy, my pool guy, went to college up your way at eastman. loved the rochester area.

was the pool covered up until you tested the water? trapped gases (pools do "breath") can be the cc you saw with testing.

maddie

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.