Fought off algae now what

Then I misread the ABC section. Says raise pH with Borax lower with muriatic, which I have. Raise alkalinity with baking soda. Raise CYA with cyanuric acid or stabilizer.
That is all correct. Just that very few pools ever need to chemically raise the pH nor raise the TA. If you need to, great. But there is not a need to buy it if you do not need it.

I would not get all those items -- nor will you likely find a proper test kit at a store.

Pools rarely need borax or baking soda.

Visit TFTestkits.net for a kit. Or look for a K2006C on an online store.
And the hardware store near me has a $30 7 way kit. The $80 kit is in next year's budget.

That is all correct. Just that very few pools ever need to chemically raise the pH nor raise the TA. If you need to, great. But there is not a need to buy it if you do not need it
I know the cheapo strips are junk but it's not a good baseline? It shows stabilizer, alkalinity and pH is low. Shouldn't I have those items on hand?

Then I misread the ABC section. Says raise pH with Borax lower with muriatic, which I have. Raise alkalinity with baking soda. Raise CYA with cyanuric acid or stabilizer.
That's correct. But until you know your current levels, raising or lowering those things may not be necessary. That's why the first step is to obtain one of the recommended test kits.

In 15 years of pool ownership, I have never added baking soda or borax to my pool.

Test Kits Compared

And the hardware store near me has a $30 7 way kit. The $80 kit is in next year's budget.
A quality test kit is by far the best money you will ever spend on your pool. It will save you lots of money, time, and frustration. Testing is not the place to cut corners.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After reading the reviews of the cheaper test kits I ordered the tf-100 and mag stirrer. One review of the $35 kit I almost got said the chlorine test color wasn't even on the comparison chart. That alone renders it useless. Looking forward to balancing this pool with some direction instead of guessing. Also adding a heater so saving that from corrosion and damage will more than make up for the cost.

Reactions: Katodude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.