6mil

Feb 5, 2022
Ontario
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just realized I forgot to plug the main drain in the skimmer... I plugged up the return side with a gizmo. I went out today to look after I realized and now the skimmer is about a quarter full of ice..
Whats the chances my line are cracked?

I don’t know what 1/4 full of ice means. If the main drain pipe is still liquid then stuffing foam rope down as far as you can may help for the rest of the season. What happened up to now is history.

The risk of freezing in that pipe is down to the frost level. Which in Ontario Canada has to be over 5 feet deep.

Reactions: Texas Splash
I don’t know what 1/4 full of ice means. If the main drain pipe is still liquid then stuffing foam rope down as far as you can may help for the rest of the season. What happened up to now is history.

The risk of freezing in that pipe is down to the frost level. Which in Ontario Canada has to be over 5 feet

The risk of freezing in that pipe is down to the frost level. Which in Ontario Canada has to be over 5 feet deep.
Since I didn't plug the bottom drain, it and the skimmer box had filled up with water and has now froze. The skimmer is about a quarter full of ice. Not sure if that makes sense..
I understand there is nothing I can do about it now. This was my first time closing.
I'm just wondering what the chances are that the line is cracked.. Wouldn't the Ice expand up into the skimmer box and prevent the line from cracking? Wishful thinking?

When you say quarter full I don’t know if the quarter is side to side or top to bottom. I will assume top to bottom and the bottom of the skimmer is a solid slab of ice.

Nothing you can do now other then hope for the best.

When you say quarter full I don’t know if the quarter is side to side or top to bottom. I will assume top to bottom and the bottom of the skimmer is a solid slab of ice.

Nothing you can do now other then hope for the best.
Yes, top to bottom, sorry.. And only quarter way up. I attached pic.. If I remember correctly, I did try to push foam rope in the pipe, but I don't think I got it down very far.. 🤡🤦

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you blow / suck out the line where you screwed in that gizmo all the way up to the pump input ? If so worst case can be the line under the skimmer going down to the main drain has / will break. "IF" that's the case you just need to install a plug in the skimmer and another down in the main drain ( come spring ). Much cheaper than replacing the skimmer. Right now fill that skimmer to the top with pool antifreeze and once it mixes into the ice start adding foam noodles cut up to fill the skimmer ( might be a trick to get someone to go into the back room to dig one out for you now ) . Suck out the mix of water and antifreeze and replace with full strength antifreeze and repeat till you have just antifreeze and stuffed tight with cut up noodles. Once you can get a screw in plug into the main drain hole, do so. I do not think that pipe will de ice enough to get foam rope down there now as it is a "B" of a job under normal conditions. BUT if you can do so, do it as water will raise to the level of the water in the pool via that line , unless it is froze as then it will be plugged ( with ice )..

Reactions: Texas Splash
Did you blow / suck out the line where you screwed in that gizmo all the way up to the pump input ? If so worst case can be the line under the skimmer going down to the main drain has / will break. "IF" that's the case you just need to install a plug in the skimmer and another down in the main drain ( come spring ). Much cheaper than replacing the skimmer. Right now fill that skimmer to the top with pool antifreeze and once it mixes into the ice start adding foam noodles cut up to fill the skimmer ( might be a trick to get someone to go into the back room to dig one out for you now ) . Suck out the mix of water and antifreeze and replace with full strength antifreeze and repeat till you have just antifreeze and stuffed tight with cut up noodles. Once you can get a screw in plug into the main drain hole, do so. I do not think that pipe will de ice enough to get foam rope down there now as it is a "B" of a job under normal conditions. BUT if you can do so, do it as water will raise to the level of the water in the pool via that line , unless it is froze as then it will be plugged ( with ice )..
Every other line was blown out, including the line going from skimmer to pump.. I really don't know why I didn't think I had to plug that line... Anyways, not much I can do now about it... But thank you for your advice...
Mayb another stupid question... Would it be safe to heat up the antifreeze to get the ice to melt enough so I can plug the line? Or can that cause more damage?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.