For those in for a Jam....

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 3, 2011
If you don't want a speeding ticket, you can use that to jam the police radar.

Alternatively, you can use it as the filling in a doughnut and give the doughnut to the cop to get out of a ticket.

JoyfulNoise

Platinum Supporter
TFP Expert
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Do you currently work in the pool industry?
No
Were the strawberries home grown or local? Fresh fruit jams are always the best.

By the way, how’s the syrup going??

CJadamec

TFP Expert
Apr 29, 2016
Quaker Hill, CT
Our strawberry season here is late June. These are just from the supermarket. On sale for $1 a pound this week. We ran out of jam that I made last summer so we had to make some more.

Syrup is done for me for the year we had a couple week strech of warm weather that stopped all the trees from making sap. Made 8.5 gallons of syrup tho so not a bad year.

It's on to the next project now which is finally a shed for the yard. It's been 4 years since we built the house and I still don't have a shed. I'm calling it my 1000 piece 3D jigsaw puzzle.

Attachments

JoyfulNoise

Platinum Supporter
TFP Expert
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Do you currently work in the pool industry?
No
Will it just be a storage shed or does it have room to double as a “man-cave”? 8.5 gallons of syrup is a pretty good haul. Betcha it tastes great.

CJadamec

TFP Expert
Apr 29, 2016
Quaker Hill, CT
It's a 10x16 building with 8 foot walls. Has a work bench, a loft and a 6 foot wide roof overhang on one side. So it's a little more than just storage but mainly a place to put outdoor equipment. I got it from Jamaica cottage shop, they make a huge selection of timber frame buildings.

The syrup is pretty tasty. It also makes a really good substitute for simple syrup when making adult beverages. It's slightly sweeter than simple syrup so you need to adjust for that.

CJadamec

TFP Expert
Apr 29, 2016
Quaker Hill, CT
Maple trees take 20-40 years before they will get big enough to tap so enjoy the fruits of your brothers labor. Maybe lend him a hand a weekend or two with collecting and evaporating. Its a nice way to spend an afternoon.

Jam is pretty easy, not too many ingredients. Even the canning process is pretty strait forward. I made 16 pints of jam that day and it took about 4-5 hours from start to finish. That is from unprepared fruit to fully jarred up. A smaller batch wouldn't take nearly as long.