For how long do I actually have to run my pool pump?

badaboom423

Jul 9, 2020
Apex, NC
I have a 17k gallon salt water pool. Currently has a 2 speed pump, that I have running on high for 12 hours every day. Some pool guy said that was ok, but I did some reading and I might be able to run it for less time. Any help?

You should never, or rarely ever, need to run your pump on high speed. The SWCG should work at low speed, the pressure cleaner will work on low speed.

As described in the article linked above, your chlorine generation by your SWCG is the primary requirement to determine your pump run time each day.

What would be the point of having a 2-speed pump if you are only going to use high speed???

What you are doing is backwards from what the pump was designed to do.. You should run on low speed most of the time, and run on high speed, only when needed..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Take a photo of the Salt Cell or post the model number. Most likely a T-15 cell. I installed my Salt Water Chlorine Generator yesterday (after 13 years).

Your pump running time would be as long as you need to generate the chlorine you need. Any time after that is for aesthetics such as skimming, etc.
I doubt high speed will ever be needed.

Take a photo of the Salt Cell or post the model number. Most likely a T-15 cell. I installed my Salt Water Chlorine Generator yesterday (after 13 years).
Your pump running time would be as long as you need to generate the chlorine you need. Any time after that is for aesthetics such as skimming, etc.
I doubt high speed will ever be needed.

I have a Hayward TurboCell TCELL925 and my pump model is a Century sp3210z2be. How can I figure out how long to run the pump on low? Is there some calculator or something where I can put my info and it tells me the times needed?

You say you are running your pump 12 hours per day now. If that is generating the chlorine you need, just switch the motor to low speed. Check to be sure the SWCG is still generating chlorine.

With a 17K pool your SWCG (I assume 40K SWCG) should generate about 10 ppm of FC per day when running at 100% output.. That would be about .41 ppm per hour.. Most pools use 2 to 4 ppm per hour so let's say your pool used 3 ppm of FC per day. So, for your cell to generate 3 ppm of FC should take about 7 hours..

Each pool is a little different, so you will have to experiment to see what works for you.. I would start off by running your pump on low for 12 hours and the cell at 65% and see what happens..

Test your FC at the same time for a few days in row.. If your FC is going up, you can turn the cell's output % down.. If the FC is going down, you can turn the output up..

The goal is to try to keep your FC at you target level or slightly higher based upon the saltwater section of this chart... FC/CYA Levels The key to our pool care process is to always keep your FC in relationship with your CYA level..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I literally just slowed my pump down to 800 RPM (30 GPM) and the flow switch is still active. Someone posted, when I asked, what the minimum speed for the Hayward flow switch: 11 GPM. I am not sure I can get my pump down to 11 GPM. My minimum speed is 600 RPM and that is supposed to be 23 GPM.

If I keep these settings, my pump cost per year drops to $46! $106.50 all in (Pump, SWG and Dolphin). 24 hours a day, 365 days a year!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.