Foam sheet bottom for inground pool?

Kat_TN

Jul 10, 2019
Nashville, TN
We will be DIY installing a semi-inground 21'x38' vinyl liner pool. Pool has 52" walls and we are burying it all the way in the ground with water depth around 44" high across the pool.

We installed a new AGP 2 years ago and based on a lot of reading on TFP, we went with 1" pink foam sheets for the floor and loved it.

My question is about putting foam sheets on the bottom of this pool. I did several searches and 95% of the posts about using foam sheets are for ABOVE ground pools. Is there any problem with using them for INGROUND pools?

Our water table can get high with heavy rains. We are planning to install a French drain around the whole pool with an automatic sump pump.

Am I missing anything else?

Last edited:
There was a GREAT install thread this weekend where they used foam under the liner in a normal above ground pool.. worked great.. For the life of me I can not find it... It can and has been done..

Yea, we did it under our last above ground pool and it was great. My main question is whether there is anything that would/should prevent us from putting it under an inground pool floor. I just don't see many people discuss it for inground pools and I don't know if I'm missing something.

I know you are putting it in ground but it is still an above ground pool.. the foam will in now way float or deuterate if it is in water for a time.. Most in ground pool use Vermiculite or grout for the layer and I guess you could use those also... :)

We will be DIY installing a semi-inground 21'x38' vinyl liner pool. Pool has 52" walls and we are burying it all the way in the ground with water depth around 44" high across the pool.

We installed a new AGP 2 years ago and based on a lot of reading on TFP, we went with 1" pink foam sheets for the floor and loved it.

My question is about putting foam sheets on the bottom of this pool. I did several searches and 95% of the posts about using foam sheets are for ABOVE ground pools. Is there any problem with using them for INGROUND pools?

Our water table can get high with heavy rains. We are planning to install a French drain around the whole pool with an automatic sump pump.

Am I missing anything else?

Did you end up doing this????

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.