Foam on top of water.

Sue S

May 22, 2019
Northern Illinois
24' round pool. I opened the pool Friday and filled the pool up, well water. I've only added a quart of scale inhibitor. However, the water has a white foam on top.? I doubt I have any free chlorine in the water. Water is very cold. Should I just shock it?

Can you post a full set of test results from your own test kit?
Scale inhibitor is not needed if the pool water chemistry is managed to TFP recommended levels.

Foam can be from an algaecide you added, low CH, etc. What does the body of water look like? Clear, algae filled, etc?

You wait. And wait. And wait, until the chlorine oxidizes it all. I hope it doesn't look this bad
imag1254_zps500a9d77-jpg.29311
My foam isn't this bad. I've only added scale inhibitor. Should I just shock it to rid the foam?

The only algaecide was from the winter closing. The water was clean with the normal winter dirt at the bottom. I've vacuumed and only added scale in inhibitor. CH? I had to add A LOT of well water. In 20 years, I've never had to add that much water.

Why are you adding scale inhibitor? Is your CH out the roof high?? This is a vinyl lined pool, right??

Do you have one of the test kits we recommend? If you don't have any chlorine in there I'd go to Walmart and stock up on the 10% liquid chlorine they have in the pool dept. and use it, with appropriate testing.

Maddie :flower:

Did you add any chlorine to the water? Clorox bleach?

This is just the pool opening. Chicago area do not open pool until Memorial Day and then we can't even get into the pool (unless heated) until mid June due to the cold weather. I add the scale in inhibitor once a year. I have very hard water. Calcium is an issue with my well water. Believe me, you can chip the white deposits left behind on the drips from the water spout on the fridge. I'll have to test it tomorrow, it's going to storm all day. Pool is clear on the bottom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow. I had no idea Chicago water was so hard. Thanks for that tidbit. Will file it away for future reference.

Controlling your pH is actually helpful in avoiding scale build up.

Maddie :flower:
Well actually, Chicago probably had better water since they get Lake Michigan water. I'm an hour north and on a well. The water sort of has a rusty taste without a water softener. Not ideal for sure. I believe you are correct on the PH. The rain has cleared the pool up and no more foam. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.