Foam instead of sand

Kdsknight

May 28, 2020
Ottawa
hi everyone,

I saw multiple threads about using foam under your above ground pool but I couldn't find the answer to my question. I am installing a new resin above ground pool and I was wondering if it's better to put to Foam at a slight down angle toward the bottom drain? Would it help for sending the debris to the bottom drain?

thanks

I was wondering if it's better to put to Foam at a slight down angle toward the bottom drain? Would it help for sending the debris to the bottom drain?
So is this a side-wall only resin pool? Liner inside correct? If you have the flexibility to do so with the liner without compromising the overall set-up and keep the pool level along the top rails, I suppose it's a good thing. We don't normally see many AGPs with a main drain. Interesting.

Hi,
thanks for the reply. You said interesting.... why is that? Is it better not to add one? Read multiple post regarding this and didn’t see a definitive answer. I know it’s very popular in our region but i would like your thoughts.

thanks

Main drains have two potential advantages in my opinion. One, some owners like the idea of sweeping dirt towards them to help with cleaning. Second, with a main drain plumbed to the equipment pad, you then have two sources of water suction to the pump instead of only the poolside skimmer. Sometimes that can be a plus. The downside most often is the potential for leaks. Most pools do just fine with surface skimming only (skimmers), so the drain just gets plugged-off permanently if that happens. Obvious in your location you close the pool each winter, so I'm not sure if a drain in your application would require more care/protection as opposed to a drain and plumbing that goes 6-8 ft underground for an inground pool.

I mentioned "interesting" earlier just because most AGPs don't seem to have a drain, but that doesn't mean you can have one it you wish.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.