Foam board base installation procedure

Jun 12, 2012
Want to make sure I have this 100% right as I'm hoping to install my 21' round pool this weekend. I'll be using 3/4" tongue and groove extruded polystyrene foam and also Gorilla pad.

1. Start with level base.
2. Place pavers flush with level base, 100% level between each paver.
3. Put bottom track in and stand up wall.
4. Put down XPS foam, triple tape seams, make sure snug fit around walls.
5. Cover foam with gorilla pad.
6. Put on foam wall covering with spray adhesive.
7. Mount foam cove with self adhesive tape and spray adhesive if needed.
8. Install liner.

Is that the correct method? I will only lose ~1" of depth and the legs and bottom track will be flush to the ground all the way around.

Thanks.

It sounds like you have a solid wall AGP. Typically these types are assumed to have sand filled in below the liner that will sit above the level of the bottom track. You don't mention the type of liner you are using (overlap, j-hook, beaded) Unless it is an overlap liner, you should build up the bottom some since that 1" depth is less than most AGP's would have if sand was used. Look at your install manual to see what sand depth is recommended and make up that depth.

I used sand (wet and tamped) then put down the gorilla pad, then i put down 1/2" foam board. Having that foam directly under the liner sure did make it easy to get wrinkles out as I was filling. Just slide them out from the center to the edges during the first 1" or so. The bottom feels great.

I used sand (wet and tamped) then put down the gorilla pad, then i put down 1/2" foam board. Having that foam directly under the liner sure did make it easy to get wrinkles out as I was filling. Just slide them out from the center to the edges during the first 1" or so. The bottom feels great.

I was thinking of getting some sand to put a layer down first. I was thinking to put the Gorilla pad on top of the foam so there would be even less chance of feeling the seams. Besides wrinkle removal, I wonder if there's more reason to put it underneath the foam.

Honestly, it probably doesn't matter, but you are probably right about the seams. They aren't that noticeable, but you can tell they are there. Either way, using foam in the bottom gives it a nice professional look and feel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.