Flowmeter for 2" PVC w/little space

Sabot

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
I have little PVC to work with on my Pad. The only PVC I have which it will work on, goes to my solar collectors. Would there be any differance between the solar and non-solar flow rates?

Does anyone know of a flowmeter which does not require 28" or more working space? Anyone have experiance with ultrasonic meters?

The flow rate is going to be very different with the solar on compared to the solar off. The solar system will increase the TDH dramatically, reducing the flow rate.

There are many kinds of flow meters, but the only reasonably priced ones that work at the flow rates we are interested in require quite a bit of straight pipe. It isn't that much trouble to divert the water off to the side and then come back for 28". The increase in TDH won't be all that significant for a diversion like that.

That is looking like the cheapest way to get a meter on the non-solar PVC. I am getting use to putting holes in my PVC of late... What the heck, cutting it is the next logical way to get over the hump of being scared. :)

Having a meter on the solar side benefit anything which would justify the cost?

There are some advantages to knowing the solar flow separately from the total flow if your system splits out only part of the flow to the solar panels and runs the rest through the usual return path. If your entire flow goes to the solar panels then a single meter will tell you everything you need to know.

It's a total split, either the solar is on (full flow) or it's off (no flow). I guess I need to figure a way to get 30" PVC on the non-solar side without screwing up the pool! Here is a rough sketch of how it might work. My concern is what effect does more elbows (as many as 6 to make this run work) have on the flow of water.

FlowmeterProject.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.