Flow Issues that are not Constant

PMet

Silver Supporter
May 22, 2019
Grand Rapids, MI
Have an old in ground concrete pool, late 1960 install. The last couple of years been having flow issues where suction water is poor. Last year replaced the filter and thought that would solve it and seemed to for a period. This year cleaned filter pre season and started with new batch of DE, yes DE filter. Worked good, then add Chlorine stabilizer and flow dropped and pressure at filter went up. Expected that as chlorine was absorbed into water and it did improve. So a couple of week slater backwashed and flow was good and pressure had dropped. Then a few weeks later flow to pump was down again, not fully filling pump tank, backwashed again and filled right up and had good flow. Then same issue a couple of weeks later. Since then just continues till now only takes a day or so for flow to drop. So tried running in recirculate only, flow comes right up and stays up. Then after running for a few hours switch back to filter flow is good, but again falls off over next 24 hours. Have notice that when I switch from filter to recirculate get a burst of air in return lines at pool, but just brief and kind of makes sense air in system due to low flow. Air in filter hasn't been real issue, just a very little. Pump is Pentair var-flow and about 10 years old, could impeller be bad? Have two suction lines, skimmer and pool drain/bottom. As you would expect flow is never that great through either, but when opened this year ran water back through both and flow seems good, just garden hose volume, and equal through both. Seems like I might have a small leak in a return link, but can't confirm at this point. All lines were replaced about 30 years ago, I have lived and had this pool since 1986 so know history. Used to have much better skimmer intake flow, but can't figure out what is going on. Now down to thinking pump impeller is only option, but why the declining performance rather than just constantly bad. Did replace the flow control valve with new filter also. Like I said the hydraulics of this just don't add up to me and I do have some knowledge of flor and pressure from cons't machinery experience.

Hoping someone has a perfect answer! If pump is next step would probably wait till closing, in Michigan, and do it then. Are there services that do it or can I do myself with basic mechanical knowledge.

Thanx.

One thing you did not mention was your pool chemistry numbers. If you could post your pool testing kit and your most recent numbers we can get you better guidance as to what is going on with your system. Also adding your pool and equipment to your signature would be helpful too. Welcome to the forum! One last thing, postsome pocs of your equipment pad and pool and we can get some of the experts to help you out with your pool and flow issues.

P,

You don't have a pump problem, you have a chemical problem.. Your filter is doing is just doing its job.. Your pool has algae, even if you can't see it yet and the filter is clogging.. You backwash and more algae clogs the filter gain... etc... etc...

I suggest that you run what we call an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.. Add liquid chlorine and get your FC up to about 10 ppm as the sun goes down. Test again the next morning before the sun comes up and see if you lost any FC.. Here are the instructions... Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Let us know how the test turns out..

Thanks,

Jim R.

No algae problem and chemistry is within acceptable range for all tests. When I backwash not seeing anything is discharge either. Filter pressure doesn't rise either, does go down a couple of PSI when backwash, but when issue returns is still only 2-3 # above backwashed level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.