Florida Pool Remodel - gray pavers, iridescent blue tiles -pool finish undecided!

Hello! I've been lurking for a while, gathering inspiration for my own pool update. I purchased a home with a 1991 pool with a capacity approximately 10,000 gallon, 630ish square feet of interior surface. I'm replacing a broken skimmer, and covering my tiny kooldeck concrete patio with Flagstone white/pewter pavers. The patio is also being expanded, with a new concrete footer around the expanded footprint. I chose an NPT 1x2 subway glass for the waterline - Sunstone in turquoise. I requested white thinset and Delorean gray grout.

Demo started this morning, and I'm still undecided on my Stonescapes pool finish! I know the deeper colors are all the rage, but I am really in love with my existing water color. The surface looks like Krystalcrete or Quartz, white base with white/clear crushed quartz mixed with bright blue flecks. The result is a pool that is always a shade of light aqua, under any lighting conditions. In the sun its a beautiful vibrant aqua, not really windex blue (which I think is darker and more fake), but a bit lighter aqua shade and always looks inviting!

I'm torn between Aqua Cool, Aqua Blue, Caribbean Blue (not sure on this one - haven't seen it in person), and creating my own custom finish - white mini pebble stonescapes with blue stones mixed in at least 25%.

Anyone have experience with these colors? I have seen replies on other threads referring inquiries like this to older threads... the problem is all the photos are gone (darn photobucket) and many of the posts are LONG.... I wish we had a gallery of pool water pictures!

So I'm on day 3 of the pool renovation, but I'll start with "before" pics and work my way forward. My original pool was free form, and about 10,000 gallons. The build was in 1991 and the finish was Krystalcrete or some other crushed quart finish, in white/pale gray with blue flecks. Aren't those red tiles just lovely?? (YUCK) I will say the water was a beautiful aqua rain or shine.

Pool in the sun
IMG_6032.jpg

Pool in the rain
IMG_6130.jpg

RED tiles on steps... the day before Demo!

IMG_6144.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

DAY ONE OF REMODEL

The crew showed up Monday morning and got BUSY. The demo took less than one day, athough we discovered a large continuous crack between the cooldeck and the pool shell behind the waterline tiles, running around half the pool. I knew the tiles were cracked and they looked like they had been patched with caulk more than once. Turns out it needed structural repair, adding a bit to the cost :( But now it will be structurally sound AND pretty.

IMG_6146.jpg

THE CRACK
IMG_6163.jpg

Day TWO..

The crew managed to get the pool all ready for tile and coping, despite the intermittent monsoons.

DAY THREE -
Here comes the fun part.... *drum roll*... the gorgeous tiles went in around the waterline. More beautiful than I could have imagined! I wanted to use Delorean Gray grout, but the crew said I should use the same color on the white coping and the tiles. So Oyster it is.

Next is concerete footer for expanded patio and pavers.... then it's time for the pool finish. I better select something soon!! I want aqua water that goes with the tiles, but no dark finishes.. I prefer a white base so that the pool will look inviting and refreshing in sun and shade (and maintain an aqua hue).

- - - Updated - - -

I snapped a pic of my old finish when they drained the pool, and of the water in full sun before they drained it. I wonder which Stonescapes finish would be best to keep this gorgeous color? Any suggestions, or pics of Stonescapes Mini Pebble Aqua Cool, Aqua Blue, or Caribbean Blue?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm trying... I attached photos to the first posts without knowing there was a size limit. I followed to help post and uploaded pics to the TFP gallery... now after 5 pics i'm told I can't post anymore there either!! Sheesh.... I was trying to avoid Photobucket, especially since so many posts on here that use Photobucket pics have broken links. Is that my only option?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!! I love the turquoise bling! I took a chunk of my old finish that came loose when they removed the old skimmer in to the PB today. The closest Stonescapes finish is Aquacool mini pebble. For 75 cents per sq ft I was able to add hand-cast turqouise/aqua glass beads. The whole project should be done at the end of next week :)

If I can just figure out how to post more pics, I will! :)

Photobucket started charging $399 a YEAR for 3rd party hosting :shock: we worry the other photo sites will follow suit :( Here is what you get for becoming a supporting member:
$100 donation.

Free TFP T-shirt, or their choice of ANY item from the TFP Logo Store
$30 off any item at TFTestkits.net
$25 off any $100 purchase at INYOPools.com
​15% discount off all Maytronics replacement parts Or 10% off $50 purchase (Maytronic Cleaners Excluded) at Home | Marina Pool Spa & Patio
Special TFP Gold Supporter Plaque placed under your user-name inside the forum letting others know that you are a Gold Supporter!
Increased attachment space (20mb) - non supporter is 256 kb
Donations are tax deductible

We get to feed the server feed and updated!

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.