Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Alright Central FL folks... What are you keeping your CYA at for your pool?
Ive been hovering around 60 ish, but with this freaking heat lately, I am strongly considering bumping that up. I feel the heat is sucking up the chlorine which I try to keep around 4-5.
Tested the water the other day and my FC was 1.0 😳
No algae, water is clear, didnt really swim to much and rain was normal.
SWG is running from 4am-10pm at 90% output 😩

I think your CYA should be in the 70-80 range but before you change that check all you levels including your salinity. You also don't mention how old the cell is perhaps it's not putting out what it used to.

I think your CYA should be in the 70-80 range but before you change that check all you levels including your salinity. You also don't mention how old the cell is perhaps it's not putting out what it used to.

Salt is 3400. Ill chk the cya tomorrow and bring it up to 80
Pool was installed 2 years ago.

Salt is 3400. Ill chk the cya tomorrow and bring it up to 80
Pool was installed 2 years ago.
Don't bring the CYA up until you're sure the cell is working properly as if you'll need to send it for warranty or whatever you'll need to resort to liquid chlorine and it will take more chlorine at 80 then at 60. Another thing of note, for SWCG pools 60 CYA although not recommended has target of 4. Your SWCG produces .92lbs/day and at 90% for 18 hours you get 4.6ppm in a perfect world. In my opinion you're skirting the fence because you may be losing 4-5ppm to uv and more possibly to bathers. My recommendation is to do a OCLT to make sure there isn't already early signs of an algae bloom eventhough the water is clear. If you get a good OCLT then raise the CYA along with the higher target of 8. Bring it up to your target with liquid chlorine then use cell to maintain the target.

Reactions: markayash
So not central Florida here, but S. Florida. I like my CYA at 70. I tried going higher, but it did not really offer me any additional protection. My pool does have full sun for most of the day. Also no pool cage. That makes a difference.

Big thing I do is run FC hot. That way I just dont worry.

Also my CYA degrades rapidly, so this time of year I do test that weekly.

Don't bring the CYA up until you're sure the cell is working properly as if you'll need to send it for warranty or whatever you'll need to resort to liquid chlorine and it will take more chlorine at 80 then at 60. Another thing of note, for SWCG pools 60 CYA although not recommended has target of 4. Your SWCG produces .92lbs/day and at 90% for 18 hours you get 4.6ppm in a perfect world. In my opinion you're skirting the fence because you may be losing 4-5ppm to uv and more possibly to bathers. My recommendation is to do a OCLT to make sure there isn't already early signs of an algae bloom eventhough the water is clear. If you get a good OCLT then raise the CYA along with the higher target of 8. Bring it up to your target with liquid chlorine then use cell to maintain the target.
Good point, rule out algae even though the water is clear.

Hi there! Ive neglected my pool a bit the last few months....lost my 2 precious pups, and I lost my zest for life, so to speak. But Im getting back to it. I have a Jandy, and Ive been running my pump about 8 hours a day with the SWG at 50%, and its keeping the chlorine level at about 6 ppm. I just ran my tests this morning, and found my CYA levels at below 20...gah!!! So Im adding some today and tomorrow to get my levels up to about 60. I do have a pool cage so that might help a bit with my chlorine levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Everything is good on the salt end
Ive passend the OCLT test with colors.. Done it a few times over the last week or so just to make sure.
As far as any warranty work goes, I believe Jandy is done with me along with my builder. No one seems to GAS about customer service anymore. Heres a thread I started yesterday in hopes of getting ahold of someone at Jandy. Going on 2 months now, talked with them I believe 3 times.
My last option is to hire an Attorney and let them deal with it. Im sure they will get answers. But why should a consumer have to go this route?

So not central Florida here, but S. Florida. I like my CYA at 70. I tried going higher, but it did not really offer me any additional protection. My pool does have full sun for most of the day. Also no pool cage. That makes a difference.

Big thing I do is run FC hot. That way I just dont worry.

Also my CYA degrades rapidly, so this time of year I do test that weekly.
I dont have a pool cage. Why does your CYA degrade rapidly?

I just dumped 4 gallons of 12.5% in the pool and brushed it really well. All out of options at this point. Been out for the past 18 months!

I dont have a pool cage. Why does your CYA degrade rapidly?

I am actually a little bit stumped on that. I have had a 40ppm decrease in CYA over 6 weeks, which should not be possible. It is not due to spashout since my salt and CH level has remained consistent. Pool has been hot. Not scientific but I believe at least in my pool, that CYA degrades rapidly after my pool temp reaches 88 degrees ( I think it has something to do with the flux capacitor).

I am actually a little bit stumped on that. I have had a 40ppm decrease in CYA over 6 weeks, which should not be possible. It is not due to spashout since my salt and CH level has remained consistent. Pool has been hot. Not scientific but I believe at least in my pool, that CYA degrades rapidly after my pool temp reaches 88 degrees ( I think it has something to do with the flux capacitor).

My water has been hovering around 90 deg. I even have a sunshade that covers about 1/3-1/2 of the pool.

That’s why they put in the engine! CYA

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.