Flooding around tub!

May 26, 2013
Ottawa, On, Canada
So I've got a problem. I installed my tub last fall so this is my first spring and I've got a problem. We had a huge temperature spike today. It went from the '30s (low single-digit Celsius) yesterday to the '60s (high teens in Celcius) today. That meant that the snowpack started melting and melting FAST. I'd estimate we lost at least a foot of snow today. Now because the ground is still more or less frozen all that water decided to pool where there was no snow, all around my new hot tub. By the time I noticed this afternoon the water was already a couple of inches up the side of the tub. I grabbed my pump and pumped it down but it's still melting so I need to go out every half hour or so to pump again. I opened the access panel and (fortunately) it's dry inside but I'm assuming the base is completely waterlogged by now :(.

I'm kind of at a loss of what to do. I guess in the short term keep pumping and (cross fingers) the temperature cools off again and the snow stops melting, but I'm not sure about the long term. My guess is draining the tub, move it, pull up my current base, add another couple inches of gravel then put the base back down replace and refill the tub. Unfortunately, that's going to need to wait till the ground has thawed and dried out which could take weeks or months.

Has anyone else dealt with situations like this? Do you have any suggestions? Maybe damage to watch for that I might not notice?

Hey da_guy !! Anything that shouldn’t get wet is higher up on purpose. I think your only worry would be if the puddle froze. And even then, the ice would mostly expand up the side of the tub and not crush it inwards. If some of the puddle found it’s way under the tub it would also have plenty of expansion space.

If you want to raise the hot tub area, take a GOOD look and figure out where the new low spot will be first. It could end up being a basement window or something way worse than the hot tub area.

Also plan on how any water will need to come off the house in that general area. If the slightly raised hot tub area is in the way it will pool up towards the house. This time it’s snow. Next time could be a spring downpour which you haven’t lived through yet to see how it handles it.

Reactions: RDspaguy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.