Flocculent and cartridge filter

I had an ignorant pool guy do this before I read not to do it. So now I need options for vacuuming to waste. Can I just undo the outlet hose from the cartridge filter? Other option is to rehook hoses back to sand filter I guess. I still have the sand filter. Any ideas? And I could put in an old cartridge filter and just do away with it afterwards
TIA!113472

Last edited:
What type of pool do you have? What type of skimmers? Main drain?

Undoing the outlet hose on your filter and turning your pump on will give you a fire hose of flow and probably get your water below your skimmers quickly.

Show us some pics of what you are dealing with.

From the looks of it, it appears to be an AGP with single skimmer & return without main drain.

If you hook up the sand filter, all that floc will gum up the sand. Don't do that.
I would use the old filter cartridge and just toss it afterward. No water loss if you are willing to sacrifice a cartridge.

I don't see any valves in your plumbing, how do you open the pump & filter without draining the pool?

You could either disconnect the cartridge filter from the pump, or you could re-connect the sand filter and set the multiport to waste. I would use the band clamp on the pump discharge line to connect a backwash hose so you can direct the waste water where you want it to go. Vacuuming to waste will drain a significant amount of water from your pool, so run a garden hose in the pool to try and keep the water level high enough to vacuum if you use a vacuum plate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.