Flocculant to Reduce Baqua Goo?

Eyoung1231

May 24, 2021
Michigan
Hello! We just got our pool last year and was recommended Baquacil by the pool installers and the pool store owner-biggest mistake of our lives. Now this year we've begun the conversion to chlorine. We've gone through the rainbow of colors and the large clumps of goo. Now there are just small pieces and I am wondering if anyone has use flocculant to make these pieces more manageable to filter. The color of the pool now is a milky blue, but you cannot see more than 6 inches down.

I am also concerned about the high levels of chlorine and the damage that it may be doing to the liner. This morning I added more chlorine to raise the levels close to 15ppm and now they've dropped closer to 6ppm. I'm hesitant to keep adding it without being able to see the liner under the water.

Has anyone experienced the conversion? How long does it take? Have you used flocculant to speed up the process? Have any of you damaged your liners with the high chlorine levels?

Thanks for your advice in advance!!

Erica

DO NOT use floc. Do a quick search and review the multitude of threads on the absolute mess this stuff makes!
Others will be in sooner than later to share their experiences but I did want to get this warning out there.

Oh, and welcome to TFP!!!

Reactions: Eyoung1231
I personally have done the conversion on our pool and can say our liner survived. The key to remember is that especially in the beginning the Baqua will quickly consume the chlorine thus it’s kinda rare that your actual FC level will be very high.

If you want to clear the pool more efficiently (clearing is the longest step in the process especially with a sand filter), then go buy the smallest bag of pool grade DE you can find and add DE to your sand filter according to this article -

Adding DE to a Sand Filter

With no way to vacuum to waste, my guess is Floc would actually slow down the process by gumming up the sand and making the filter less efficient.

If you have a kit and are following the process, all you need now is patience.

I use flock as a final clean-up step when I use chlorine free shock ( or Line Clean). I plan to backwash after every treatment. I also use pool socks in my skimmers to reduce the load on my filter. These help a lot but not quite enough to avoid the need to backwash after I use the flocculant (aluminum sulfate).

I use flock as a final clean-up step when I use chlorine free shock ( or Line Clean).
I'm also using Line Clean as an (approximately) weekly maintenance dose but have no capability to vacuum to waste and so have never used floc.

Also curious as to how socks or hairnets are placed in skimmers (?) I've read several people talking about doing this in the forums - but - especially with a sock - where does it go?

I'm also using Line Clean as an (approximately) weekly maintenance dose but have no capability to vacuum to waste and so have never used floc.

Also curious as to how socks or hairnets are placed in skimmers (?) I've read several people talking about doing this in the forums - but - especially with a sock - where does it go?
stretch it over. I have a small rock I put in the basket under the sock to drop the basket quicker

Attachments

• skimmer sock.jpg
    skimmer sock.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: anthonypool89

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.