May 27, 2018
pleasant valley/NY
Hi
I am a New pool owner second summer with the pool . I used a opening kit and it made the water clean blue and very cloudy. I took a water sample to the store they recommend flocculant I used it but I have cartridge filter without a filter to waste option. how can I clean out the flock. Also I ordered a test kit. I have been to the pool store three times totaling almost $375 dollars.

Thank You for all your help

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

This is why the pool stores have such a bad rep around here. WHY!!! would they tell you to use floc with no way to vacuum it out?!?!
We never recommend floc here to anyone.

You can take the cartridge out of your filter and take the drain plug out of the bottom and run that way. Going to make a huge mess and some water will go back to the pool.
Or you could install a 3-way valve (like Jandy Neverlube) between your pump and the filter so you would have a waste option that you could hook a backwash hose up to.

What test kit did you order?

Welcome! :wave:

You've spent about what I spend on my pool annually. I'm glad you found us. And I hope you realize that the pool store hasn't got a clue what's wrong or how to fix it. They're trying the "shotgun approach." Throw a whole lot of stuff and hopes something hits the target.

Well, we're glad you're here. We like a challenge.
How about a picture of the flocced pool? So we we have something to show the next person who thinks it will be a good idea.

Sparkle Up is nothing more than cellulose fiber (from cellulose dust) and is not a product that should be added to cartridge filters because, like most additives, it can become lodged into the filter media and impossible to remove. Flocculants will also clog up cartridge filter materials.

So, as you can see, the supposed “experts” at the pool store have no clue as to what they are talking about or they were so eager to lighten your bank account that they didn’t even stop to look at what kind of filter you have.

There’s no telling at this point if your filter media is now irreversibly damaged but you might want to take it out and hose it off thoroughly. Soaking it in a large garbage can with a mixture of trisodium phosphate (found in the paint section of hardware stores) and water. It might clean all the cellulose fiber off.

As for the floc, you can still try to vacuum it up using the skimmer socks but it too is going to create a mess and so you'll have to clean the cartridges thoroughly again as well. Be prepared to buy new filter cartridges at some point.

After you get all the gunk out of your pool, follow the advice here for clearing a pool of algae. The Guides will help you through that.

Oh, and if it’s not completely obvious, stay OUT of the pool store.

I will soak the filters tomorrow morning the filter cartridges were brand new unfortunately. I am reading the pool school section. from what I know now from what my wife is telling me there are huge piles of cotton on the surface of the water. but I will post pictures tomorrow morning hopefully it will help someone before they do what the store tells them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine to the pool each evening. You need to either run your pump to mix it in or use some other means to distribute it. Depends on how you are handling the floc issue.

I put the skimmer bag in the skimmer and started the filter skimmer only so i can clear the surface before i start vacuuming. any thought or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
You could probably clear that surface mess with a leaf skimmer faster than waiting for the pool to do it.

I'd set the vacuum and hose in now, so that any disturbance it creates has time to settle again before vacuuming begins.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.