Floc without filter

I had a pool maintenance guy check out my broken filter the other day and he told me I could start tackling my green pool while I serviced my filter. He said I could set my multiport valve to recirculate and start adding chlorine to kill the algae and get things blue again. He then recommended using floc on recirculate and let it settle and then vacuum to waste. I know that floc isn't usually recommended on tfp because it can gum up your filter, but since it's not currently part of the occasion would this be an OK way to clear things up?

While we don't normally recommend floc, if your filter is going to be out of commission for a while waiting on parts or something, you can try what he suggests and it may help move things along. To me, it's better than doing nothing.

Be sure to follow the instructions on the container. If you don't there's a pretty good chance that it won't work.

Since you have a side mount multiport you could set it to recirculate and start killing the algae. If you use the floc you will have to be sure all of it is out before setting it back to filter. It may take a few days of vacuuming to waste and letting it settle overnight. If you do this vacuum to waste and refill the lost water before adding chlorine.

You're pool is already green. I wouldn't use the floc and just wait until the pool filter is operational to begin a proper SLAM with filtering. You should be able to add chlorine and recirculate without the flocking headache of removing it from the pool and save water. JMO.

I believe I've killed the algae by recirculating and slamming. It's to the point to where it's blue and cloudy now. I added floc and the pump has been off for about 5 days now, but the floc doesn't seem to have done anything towards making stuff settle. I have the parts to reassemble my filter now. I'm wondering if I should just do a round of vacuuming what I can see to waste and then start filtering. I'm a little concerned about ineffective floc that's still in the water messing with my filter though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now you have to avoid getting it in the filter. If you'd of just added the chlorine to SLAM levels and recirculate you could have just started the DE and babysat the filter. I've cleared swamps in 2 days with a DE filter and never used FLOC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.