Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Ok after e mailing some of what I got from here to these folks who sell SWG's
here is reply

So these guys are referring to TDS. I know this is watched in chlorine pools but not really in salt pools
I am going to begin doing my own testing soon and keeping tight control using Pool Math and CSI

Please see the direct response from our local Rep who teaches CPO (Certified Pool Operator) classes:

1. It is correct that the flakes are coming from the salt cell, however the issue is water related. Because of the extensive chemical reaction taking place in the electrolytic cell, the metals in the water are being knocked out of suspension, and are showing up in the pool as flaking. This typical shows up at the point in the pool furthest from the equipment pad, or in a small body of water such as a spa off the main equipment pad.
  2. The explanation of this phenomenon showing up after a period of operation without seeing any flakes is definitely due to water quality deteriorating, IE: chemical balance in the water changing. These changes come predominately in the form of TDS, Calcium Hardness. If you were to take your total TDS and subtract the salt level from it you would have a pretty good idea of your functional TDS in the body of water.
  3. As a manufacture of Chlorine Generating equipment, it is our recommendation that 1500 to 2500 ppm TDs is the range in which we would recommend changing, or diluting the water to reduce the TDS.
If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

With a SWCG and living in the desert with high CH and TA water you need to monitor CSI, Pool School - Calcium Saturation Index (CSI)). It is calculated by PoolMath. If you keep your CSI between -0.3 and 0, you will limit the amount of scale that is sloughed from the SWCG when the polarity reverses.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

You may also want to get the Pool Math app.

It is correct that the flakes are coming from the salt cell SNIP Because of the extensive chemical reaction taking place in the electrolytic cell, the metals in the water are being knocked out of suspension, and are showing up in the pool as flaking.

Is calcium a metal? Gather up some of the white flakes an pour acid on them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.