Aransas Pass, TX
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
Hi there,

i’ve been doing some of my own research and think that the problem I’m having with these flakes and salt accumulations on the horizontal surfaces has to do with too high of a pH and that I need to add borates to my water. However I’m having a hard time finding out how to test for borate so I can figure out how much I need to add to get up to 50 ppm. Can someone direct me on the chemicals I need to purchase and the steps I need to take to do a drop test for borates or if that’s even possible? I have the TF 100 test kit

Your pool water will have no borates in it unless you have added them. Most do not test for them. Just add them once and then each year top them up in the spring. There are strip tests that are approximate or there is a drop based kit available.

Looking at your Poolmath data, though quite sparse, does not show an issue with you being able to keep your pH and TA under control if you regularly test and add acid. You will still need to do that with borates in the water. Your CH is not that high that with a controlled pH and TA the calcium flakes should abate. There cannot be any salt as it would instantly dissolve in the water.

You should turn on CSI tracking to monitor the CSI.

What is your current water temperature and CSI?

Your logs seem to show the pH as always at 8.2.

Are you not adding any acid to control the pH?

We add MA almost every other day. Just about every time we test it’s 8.2 or higher. I use pool math but don’t log every test. Only when we start having issues. Can you tell me what CSI stands for?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.