FL Pool Neglected for 3 Years

Why not use filter, water needs to move.
The filter is not needed to move water, water just passes through the filter. If you remove the filter media(grids) the water is just going to recirculate. Just as recirculate on a MPV which the OP does not have. Also his filter is quite small and will have to clean it every few hours which is tedious at best. What i meant is to run in recirculate mode for a couple of days until all algae is dead. Then insert. the filter cartridge and. start the filtering process.

The filter is not needed to move water, water just passes through the filter. If you remove the filter media(grids) the water is just going to recirculate. Just as recirculate on a MPV which the OP does not have. Also his filter is quite small and will have to clean it every few hours which is tedious at best. What i meant is to run in recirculate mode for a couple of days until all algae is dead. Then insert. the filter cartridge and. start the filtering process.
I don't think the op got that from your advice. I figured that would be a good idea but wasn't sure his system has a recirculate feature so didn't advise. Ty

Last edited:
Reactions: Flying Tivo
Hey all. Today I did the sock method and added 36 oz of CYA (that will bring it up to 30 ppm). Also added 45 oz of 20% muriatic acid.
I've been adding 3ppm FC worth of the liquid chlorine since Tuesday as Marty advised.
Going to run the pump 24 hours until all CYA is dissolved.
Right now water is a bit more clear and I can kind of see the bottom of the deep end (5ft)
Please let me know if there's anything else I need to do in the meantime. Thanks all.

Just do your best to maintain the FC SLAM level based on that CYA you were aiming for. See the FC/CYA Levels. If your CYA is supposed to be 30, your SLAM FC level should be 12. Maintaining is key. Good luck!
I was going to ask you guys about how much liquid chlorine to add once CYA is 30.
My current FC is 0.5, Target is 12. PoolMath says I need to add 132 oz (1 gallon and 1 cup). To a newbie that seems to little? I've seen in other threads people picking up 20, 30, or even 40 gallons of chhlorine/bleach.

I used the PoolMath tool and that's about right for 10% strength. From zero to 12 about 1 gallon and a cup. Pour slowly near the return jets and then test periodically to maintain that FC of 12. The amount varies from pool size, bleach strength, etc.

Remember you are going to maintain that FC level for many days to a couple weeks. So 20 gallons will most likely be a minimum amount.

It's like flying... trust your instruments (TF100 results plus Pool Math). And you have two flight instructors, full-fledged TFP experts! Just follow their advice and you'll be sparkling soon! I've watched both of them advise on pools waaaay worse than this.

Reactions: Bacon_ISF
Thanks guys and you're right Chris I should just listen to you all :)
Another question. I put the sock with 36oz of CYA in front of one of the returns this afternoon. 5 hours later it's almost all dissolved already. Is this normal? Instruction made it sound like it'll take much longer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
4/26 11am test (after all CYA dissolved)
FC: 0. Water didn't turn pink. Can't test CC if FC is 0, correct?
CC: did not test
pH: 7.2 (was 8.2 on 4/21)
TA: 90 (was 110 on 4/21 but didn't use SpeedStir then. 90 is probably more accurate)
CYA: 20-30. At 30 slightly visible. At 20 almost invisible

After this I added 1.1 gallon of chlorine and brushed the heck out of the pool. I wish we had a giant SpeedStir for the pool!
I'll do another test at 3pm or so. Should I do all the tests or just FC/CYA?

Did you add enough CYA to get to 30 ppm? If so, assume that is in the water and SLAM. No need to test CYA for a week or so.

If FC is zero CC could still have a value. But right now that does not matter. Just test FC and keep it at SLAM level.

Now that you have CYA in the pool, just test it multiple times a day (at least 3 times a day if you can, up to about once every 30 minutes if you can really babysit it). Each time you test, plug the current FC value into Pool Math, tell it you are in SLAM mode, make sure the CYA is set to 30, and add how much it says. The stuff in the pool will eat the FC pretty quick and the more often you can add more the better. You don't want to overshoot the target because it could damage pool finishes and equipment - best to just keep feeding it with a test to know how much FC to add.

Depending on how often you can test and add, it should go blue and cloudy pretty quick, and your FC usage should drop as stuff is already dead. Then it will come time to filter everything out.

Reactions: Bacon_ISF
SLAM Day 1
Test result below. At 7:30PM FC was maintaining at 12 so I didn't add any chlorine. Let's see how much it drops tomorrow! I'm currently running without the filter.
1587948845335.png

Depending on how often you can test and add, it should go blue and cloudy pretty quick, and your FC usage should drop as stuff is already dead. Then it will come time to filter everything out.
Thanks. I think I've seen your SLAM thread. Hopefully I can have my pool back soon too.

Last edited:
Reactions: IceShadow
SLAM Day 2
Test result below. Again at 7:30PM, FC was at 12 so I didn't add anymore chlorine.
1588036313654.png

Does anyone know how to release pressure from the 2nd pump I have here for the spa? I need to open it and clean the basket but not sure how to release pressure. Thanks.
1588036105064.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.