FL Pool Neglected for 3 Years

Bacon_ISF

Mar 29, 2020
Tampa, FL
TF100 kit will be here Monday but I figured I'd go ahead and start a new thread so I can document the journey. Thanks in advance to all you kind people.

So we've actually never used the pool since we bought the house in 2017. It's been borderline neglected other than occasional brushing and adding 2.5 gallon chlorine from Pinch A Penny. We are expecting our first child in June so I'm giving myself until then to get the pool back in shape. I know it will take time but I'm sure it's worth it in the end :)

Some questions and notes:
  • Water leaks from the air release valve - sometimes it's just a little bit, sometimes it's a lot. How do I go about fixing this? New filter?
  • Spa water is stagnant and overflow isn't working. However, water does overflow from spa to pool when I run the pump without the cartridge filter
  • I think suction is weak and robot vacuum doesn't move around
  • I've been scooping as much sludge as possible. As of this morning water is green/cloudy
Let me know if I should be doing anything in the meantime. I'll get the test results Monday/Tues. Thanks!

All things considered, it's not all that bad for essentially sitting for 3 years. But a SLAM Process is definitely required. You should be able to replace the filter gauge with one from HERE. For questions about your spa overflow and circulation, it might help to post a picture of your equipment pad.

Yep, probably new filter but wouldn't hurt to remove and try to clean the old one... Pat will get you right through the SLAM and you'll be amazed at how quickly it gets much nicer. You'll definitely need to run your pump with filter though. Sounds like you're already getting bleach in bulk containers - may want to get another one so you can take advantage of the 2 for $7.99 they run at Leslie's in most of Florida.

Congrats on the baby and pool!

Chris

Equipment pad:
Yep, probably new filter but wouldn't hurt to remove and try to clean the old one... Pat will get you right through the SLAM and you'll be amazed at how quickly it gets much nicer. You'll definitely need to run your pump with filter though. Sounds like you're already getting bleach in bulk containers - may want to get another one so you can take advantage of the 2 for $7.99 they run at Leslie's in most of Florida.

Congrats on the baby and pool!

Chris
Thank you. I've been cleaning the filter daily but sometimes the water leak is so bad I feel like I'm going to have more water in my yard than in the pool. Didn't know about the deal at Leslie's -- Is it BYOC, bring your own container?

You have a tiny filter. It will need to be cleaned alot during your SLAM. You might consider running the pool without the filter for the first few days of the SLAM so you can kill the algae and then mess with cleaning the filter multiple times per day.

Wow, I missed that Marty's right the filter is tiny. 75 sq ft and mine is 200 sq ft for a larger pool. Many experts would say mine is undersized. Probably the only reason I get by with it so well is I have a totally enclosed swimming area. Looks like you have that too so it may work OK but I'd go larger when you replace. I clean mine about twice per year.

Good luck with the clean up!

Chris

Thanks Marty and Chris. Never thought the filter was too small until I came here and saw people with 200, 300, 400 sq ft filters lol
I have no idea why original builders put tiny filters.
Given the size of the filter and the size of the pool itself, it might be easier to drain the pool and refill with clean water.
I'm hesitant to drain it because I'm in Florida and I've heard horror stories about people's pool getting popped out. I'm sure there's nothing to worry if you do it right but I'm just a novice.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Got my TF100, Speedstir, and Pool Math app today and will test the water tomorrow morning.
I read ABC's of pool water chemistry and SLAM method.
Can someone confirm I need to test these tomorrow:
  1. Blue plastic box (K-1000) for chlorine and pH -- is this the TC test? probably not
  2. FC & CC -- instruction says FC + CC = TC. Is this TC the same as TC from step 1?
  3. CH, TA, CYA
  4. App doesn't track TC or CC -- how come?

The K1000 - blue box - is for pH. No need to do the OTO chlorine test.
TC is meaningless. Do the FC followed by the CC. If CC 0.5 or less, no worries.

Reactions: Bacon_ISF

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bacon,

You're not alone on the filter size. For some reason a lot of Florida builders seem to under size them. It helps that you have the enclosure. So you may find you can still go several months between cleaning. As Marty points out we don't care about TC. Pool Math does track cc. Here's my test logs last few days:

1587459587862.png
Just follow Marty's advice on which to do and read up on this in Pool School. You'll get the hang of it pretty soon and find you don't need to do all the tests that often. For test entries that you don't run as often Pool Math reports the last time you tested in the logs. If you click on a line it provides more details on the date and time of each test. Every pool is a little different on test frequency but we all test FC, cc, pH a lot. I tested everything like crazy at first and learned what changes day to day and what changes month to month. The TF 100 is great for new TFP owners since it has reagent for so many tests. Now on my 6th year I find I use refills for my FC test every 6 months but the rest never run out. I just replace the whole set of reagents every other year or so when they're on sale. I get away with this because I keep them inside out of sun and in a cool dry place. They seem to go on sale about twice per year.

Good luck with the tests.

Chris

Now that you have the kit, it would be helpful if you post the five important parameters before you start the SLAM.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CYA

You like;y may not have any CYA and will need to add some initially up to around 30 ppm.

I would not drain that pool.....it's not that bad.

Once you begin your SLAM (please reread and follow the directions EXACTLY), your only test will then be FC a couple of times daily. Test for CC after your pool is virtually clear.

Add 30 ppm worth of CYA for your pool volume and start the SLAM Process. Follow the steps exactly and it will go fast. I would also suggest not using the filter for the first few days.
Thanks so I need to add CYA before adding chlorine, yea? Seems like I need 3 lbs of CYA (1 lb to raise 10ppm per 10,000 Gallons) -- does that sound right?
Also SLAM says I need to lower the pH to 7.2 -- I'll need pH decreaser, right? Just making sure since I can't be going out too often nowadays.

Check Poolmath on your CYA addition. I show you need 36 oz of CYA to raise your pool 30 ppm.

Use muriatic acid to lower pH.

Check Poolmath on your CYA addition. I show you need 36 oz of CYA to raise your pool 30 ppm.

Use muriatic acid to lower pH.
Thanks Marty. I'm still learning my ways around the app. Yes I see the same 36 oz of CYA to go from 0 to 30 ppm. And 63 oz of 14.5% muriatic acid.
I don't know if I can pick these up until the weekend. Only thing I have with me at the moment is 2.5 gallons of chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.