Fixing freeze damage - Triton T100C Sand Filter

djw

Gold Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
Colleyville, TX
The joys of Texas' "great storm", I have been working through the damage to the equipment.

My last repair item looks like a minor crack or two at the top of my sand Triton T100C sand filter where the large cap screws on. I get a little seepage/drip when its pressureized. The filter is circa 2002. I am working to see if just re-lubing the o-ring helps, but I suspect there might be some very minor cracking in the shell right where the lid goes on.

Anyone have experience mending the shells with epoxy or some other extraordinary sealant or glue? I suspect the area is at the longest an inch long and seeps a little water from under the lid.

The alternative is probably a new filter for about $2K. I doubt the shells for the Pentair Triton II T100 are identical, but even these are $1K.

Trying to mend the shell of a fiberglas filter is generally a no-no. Too many stories of them going south and ripping open with explosive results. YOu might mend it and have great results but most all of us at TFP think it is simply not worth the risk.

You got nearly 20 years out of that filter, that’s good enough. Just get a new one. You might consider ditching the sand filter and goi g with a cartridge filter but that’s entirely optional. Repairing a cracked shell on any kind of pressure vessel is a dangerous idea - even just a few PSI of pressure spread out over a large surface area can create hundreds of pounds of force capable of launch plastic fragments like shrapnel. Not worth it.

Reactions: duade and JamesW
Checking it as the rain abated today, I saw more evidence of leaks around the filter lid. I just replaced the Pentair 261055 Multiport Valve today, which also was cracked in "the great freeze" and power debacle here, so I am somewhat committed to putting in another compatible Pentair Triton II T100 sand filter.

I really have no objections to the sand filter - it's been pretty low maintenance over its 20 year life. An engineer once said to me "you can backwash it wearing a tuxedo". I never have, but his point is well made and matches my enthusiasm on maintenance tasks. The pool has always been quite clear.

This looks like another $1000 on the repairs for a new filter unit. If anyone has recommendations on a supplier that might be tax friendly, or where we have any coupon codes, every little bit will help with this unplanned and weather-induced "remodel".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.