Fixing air from return jet... how to unscrew the pump nut?

Jay_8848

Sep 2, 2022
Raleigh, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
Hi, I've been seeing some air bubbles coming out constantly from the return jet. Did some research and changed the strainer pot head's o-ring with the OEM (pentair) part. Still, the air bubbles kept coming. Then the second step was to change the o-ring of the suction side union. I read it should be hand-tight but I am not able to loosen it. Also, do you know the unscrew direction, I have been trying anti-clockwise (like in the picture)? What tool can I use to open this without damaging anything?

Also, any other thoughts on what's causing the air bubbles?

Thank you in advance.
pump nut.png

Reactions: Jay_8848
Jay,

If the bubbles coming out of your returns are champagne sized, then most likely they are from your salt cell. This is quite normal.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you, Jim! I use salt cell all the time and did not know it can generate some air bubbles, good to know. Unfortunately, I do see some tiny air pockets on the strainer glass head. Will try to change the o-ring and will keep posted.

That is correct.

Carefully with a large channel lock, or a strap wrench.

You may need to rebuild the valve in the picture...air can get in there too.
Thank you so much, I will work on the union first.
Can you please elaborate when you say "rebuild the valve"? Do I need to change any parts inside the valve?

It's quite normal to see a few air bubbles or air pockets in the pump basket lid - especially when the pump is run at less than full rpm (3450).
We all get them.

Some small air bubbles are common with a VS pump. Unless the pump basket is filling with air, you do not have an issue.

The bubbles from the SWCG are hydrogen gas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.