Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi all,

I have a couple leaks in the PVC plumbing on my equipment pad. I've never replaced PVC before, but feel comfortable doing so, except for one aspect - I'm just not sure how much of the existing plumbing to remove. I don't want to go overboard and replace sections that are fine to leave as is, but also don't wasn't sure if having too many couplings is a no no (perhaps increasing the chances of leaks).

For example, in this picture, I've put an arrow where there's a coupling that has a leak:

Leak 1.jpg

Here's another area that has a leaking coupling:

Leak 2.jpg

Can someone let me know which sections of the existing PVC I should remove in order to replace the leaking sections?

Thanks for any advice!

On the first one, you could cut out both couplers and the elbow section and red it from there. The second one you'll have to be a bit more careful. Is that one piece for the chlorinator actually held in place via the clamps?

Gotcha regarding the first one - makes sense. I'll do that.

Regarding the second one - that's actually a line coming in from the acid tank's pump (part of the IntelliChem setup). The saddle clamp is how Pentair wants the install done...it was holding fine for a little over a year, but I ended up having to get a new saddle to clamp down this year as it did start leaking. While replacing the saddle I noticed that the clamps have made that piece of PVC they're fastened to bend inward a bit, so I was actually thinking to replace that piece of PVC. The installer must of clamped it on too tight. If I want to replace that section of PVC, where would you recommend cutting? I wasn't sure if I'd have to remove the piece going into the check valve and if that's the case, I wasn't sure how to do so.

Thanks!

Gotcha regarding the first one - makes sense. I'll do that.

Regarding the second one - that's actually a line coming in from the acid tank's pump (part of the IntelliChem setup). The saddle clamp is how Pentair wants the install done...it was holding fine for a little over a year, but I ended up having to get a new saddle to clamp down this year as it did start leaking. While replacing the saddle I noticed that the clamps have made that piece of PVC they're fastened to bend inward a bit, so I was actually thinking to replace that piece of PVC. The installer must of clamped it on too tight. If I want to replace that section of PVC, where would you recommend cutting? I wasn't sure if I'd have to remove the piece going into the check valve and if that's the case, I wasn't sure how to do so.

Thanks!
Is it a small drip? I'd leave it if it is. Looks like there's not enough pipe left over once you cut the joints out. You'll end up removing whole sections. You should have at least 3/4 inch or pipe in the connector.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.