Fittings for Intex to Hayward!

tamaralemus

Silver Supporter
Jul 8, 2015
Port Neches, TX
Hello all! I have an Intex pool that we have converted to Hayward skimmer and eyeball returns. It's been about 3 years since we did so, and I swear I'm having brain issues and cannot remember what all we need. :scratch: Anyway, I remember having to buy these GAME adapters for something, but can't remember exactly what! Amazon.com : GAME 4560 40mm to 1 1/2 Inch Conversion Kit (For Intex Outdoor I think it was to join the Hayward skimmer and both universal return eyeballs to the Intex hoses?? I bought two sets, and have 1 adapter leftover, so the math works lol.

I also bought this ball valve, and use it at the skimmer so I can clean out the pump cartridge. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EL3YJW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 For those that are wondering, this valve SUCKS. It leaks water no matter how far you turn the handle, sometimes terribly and sometimes not so bad. We used regular ball valves from Lowe's on the eyeballs and they work WAY better.

Anyway, we are replacing our Intex pool with a new one because the poles rusted completely, we bought it used and have had it 3 summers now. I'd like to go ahead and order/buy the things I will need to set up the new one. I have a new Hayward skimmer already, a new Intex sand pump, sand, and Exacto blades. Will be using the same eyeballs I have, they are fine. I have ordered another set of 2 of the Game adapters, and have the 1 left over from a few years ago, so I'll have three, which should be enough for the skimmer and two return eyeballs. I will be ordering a new gorilla pad, and a big bucket of CYA. I'm assuming we will have to cut the PVC/eyeballs we have on the pool now, and may not be able to use them again on the new one. Hubby isn't the most gentle or patient man, lol. If we have to replace any, we will get the ball valves from Lowes, which should connect straight to the Hayward/universal connections on the pool, and then use the game adapters to connect those ball valves/PVC to the Intex hoses.

I still feel like I'm forgetting SOMETHING important to get all the eyeballs and skimmer connected to the sand pump. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

thanks! Where did the rubber washer come from? And the cap? So you were making something to cap off the fitting in the pool? Or a fitting to connect universal fittings to Intex hoses?

The rubber washer is an intex one found on most fittings that the larger hoses connect to, also available as spares. It has an ‘L’ cross-section to it.

The cap came from the drain port on my intex filter (also another location that the L washer is found) and I was using it to test the fittings that I was making and to test water tightness. It has the same thread dimensions as the large pipes.

The aim of the fitting that I was making was to have something that converts from the large intex hose into PVC using the least amount of off-the-shelf parts, but without having to use anything such as packing washers (intex use the L washer on their connections so I copied) and with no modifications i.e. cutting any parts to force them to fit.

I hope this helps!

The rubber washer is an intex one found on most fittings that the larger hoses connect to, also available as spares. It has an ‘L’ cross-section to it.

The cap came from the drain port on my intex filter (also another location that the L washer is found) and I was using it to test the fittings that I was making and to test water tightness. It has the same thread dimensions as the large pipes.

The aim of the fitting that I was making was to have something that converts from the large intex hose into PVC using the least amount of off-the-shelf parts, but without having to use anything such as packing washers (intex use the L washer on their connections so I copied) and with no modifications i.e. cutting any parts to force them to fit.

I hope this helps!

Thanks!!! I'm sure I have a few of the rubber gasket things in the garage. We upgraded from the smaller intex fittings to the larger ones with plungers, and then to the Hayward ones, so I'll get I have some stuck in a box somewhere. I already have 3 of the GAME ones, but I will definitely have the hubby try this if we need another one for anything, rather than order more!

And mwfaith, thanks for the info on the gasket-making! Good to know!

Hoping to have a few days as possible in between draining and dismantling the old one and getting the new one up and running. I'm gonna cry about all the water wasted, though....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.