First Year Pool Owner

Incity17

Bronze Supporter
Jul 26, 2017
Hopkinton MA
Hi all - First year pool owner, moved to this Property last Fall. For weekly maintenance, I used a pool service last year and continue this year. I purchased a TF100 kit this spring and started regular testing to get familiar, while I had the pool service every other week. I have been regularly following the forums and using poolMath.

I have since decided to do the pool maintenance myself. So far I have no issues, Water looks clear.

My Water Test Results from using Taylor TF100 kit today
FC : 3.0
CC : 0.5
PH : 7.5
TA : 60
CYA : 70
Calcium : 225
Salt : 3200 (using Taylor 1766), SWG shows 3100.

1. My PH rises constantly, On average I go through about Gallon of Muriatic Acid, every 2 weeks. I have a SPA where the water overflow into the pool, when the filter is running. That is the only source of aeration that aids the PH rise. I run my filter pump for 6 hrs/day and an additional circulation pump for 2 hrs a day.
  2. My pool service guy was adding an Algaecide every month. I wasn't sure If I need to do that.
  3. He also was adding Alkalinity rise every month. I will have to start adding baking SODA to bring up alkalinity when it drops below 60. I plan to maintain the alkalinity between 60-70 to slowdown the PH rise.
  4. I got my water tested in a Pool Store recently. The Phosphates count was 300. They suggested to use PhosFree. But I declined. Anything to be done with phosphates.
  5. My Calcium is a little low, per the guideline for my pool. but it been that way all year. Not sure I have to do anything about it.
  6. My CL levels have been between 2-4 all year. Based on the CYA it probably should be higher, but it been fine so far.

Please advise on any corrections or concerns

1. That is just the nature of your pool. Target a PH of 7.8, add MA when PH hits 8, dont lower PH below 7.6. Doing that will not lower your TA as much.

2. Refuse the algecide. But crank up your SWG % or pump runtime to get your FC up to 5.

3. TA down as low as 50 is ok. Increading TA just increases your PH rise issues.

4. Dont concern yourself with phosphates. Focus on your FC target.

5. Calculate your CSI in PoolMath.

6. Get your FC up to 5. You risk an algae problem running at the minimum.

Thank you for you Prompt responses.

Based on above Test Results, My CSI : -0.66

By letting the PH drift towards 7.8 , CSI drops to -0.39. I will target a PH of 7.8

Earlier this year I tried to bump up my FC, while I still had my pool service. It was around 6 and My pool guy added Chlor-out to bring down the Fc levels. Me following the TFP method was conflicting with the pool service, so let him run with his schedule. Over the course of the year. I realized , the pool service was not adding much value, except costing me unnecessary chemicals. (Agaecide, Chlorout, Pool complete... etc)..

Now that I am on my own as suggested, I will target the FC : 5.0 and PH : 7.8

Big Thank you to all the folks at TFP. Just became a TFP supporter as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.