First winter with SWCG in Vegas- What to do

Sep 7, 2018
Las Vegas
Ok guys so I converted to a Sand Filter and SWCG beginning of summer, let me tell you it was the best decision I have ever made with my pool.
Maintenance is a breeze now, I bought a robotic vacuum and it runs daily to keep the pool clean.
I just have to check levels about once a week and my PH seems to get high is all, just a bit of acid and a good cleaning of the pool vac and Im good for another week.
My question is now that its cooled down in Vegas do I turn down/off the SWCG, my buddy has a pentair SWCG and he has a dummy cell he puts in for the winter, is their a similar option for the Circulpool SWCG's, if not what do I do to winterize it since im Vegas we dont close our pools for the winter.
What should I run my pump for as well?

cz,

As the weather gets cooler your FC demand will go way down, so you will need to adjust your SWCG's output to keep your FC in or above the target range...

Once the water temp gets into the low 50's the SWCG will go into cold water shut off... Once that happens just use liquid chlorine to keep your FC up.

I do not remove the SWCG in the winter but I make sure my pump is running anytime it could get below freezing.

Thanks,

Jim R.

cz,

As the weather gets cooler your FC demand will go way down, so you will need to adjust your SWCG's output to keep your FC in or above the target range...

Once the water temp gets into the low 50's the SWCG will go into cold water shut off... Once that happens just use liquid chlorine to keep your FC up.

I do not remove the SWCG in the winter but I make sure my pump is running anytime it could get below freezing.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hey Jim
So the pump wont need to run unless it get to freezing temps? in Vegas it seldom gets that cold, at what temp do I stop running the pump?

cz,

The pump needs to run long enough to generate the amount of chlorine you need and to keep your pool skimmed...

If you are using Liquid chlorine and don't care if your pool is skimmed or not, then an hour a day, when you add chemicals is plenty..

Keep in mind this comes from a guy who runs his pump 24/7/365... It costs me less than $20 a month to run my pump and I like to generate a little chlorine all the time and I don't ever want to see a leaf floating in my pool... :)

There is no right answer here.. The only reason you "must" run your pump is to...

1. Mix any chemicals.. (an hour or two at most)
2. Generate the chlorine you need from a SWCG or tabs.
3. Skim the water to your liking..

Other than that you do not "need" to run your pump at all.. On the other hand, you can run it as long as you want.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: mkf350
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.