First water test!

Dapdo

Bronze Supporter
Jul 15, 2018
Vineland, NJ
So the pool has been plastered and filled for a week now. Got a Taylor 2006C and did my first test this am. How’s it looking?
pH 7.4
FC 6.8 ppm
CC 0
TA 40
CH 110
CYA 0
Water is slightly cloudy. I think it’s from all the dirt/dust/plaster dust and POLLEN ugh. PB said no stabilizer yet.

Good job on a quality test kit.

You can use a 10 ml water sample for your FC test. One scoop of powder and each drop of reagent to clear is equal to 0.5 ppm FC.

TA is getting on the low side. Be watchful of that. Use baking soda if necessary to raise it to 70 ppm or so.

Odd that you cannot add stabilizer yet -- most startups say after 72 hours. But follow the PB directive.

PB said no stabilizer yet.
That is surprising. After about 3 days it's good to give your FC some protection from the sun. At least you seem to be holding some FC. But without stabilizer, an FC of 6 or more is extremely harsh. In addition, the combination of your low TA, CH, and pH are driving your CSI too low for new plaster. The CSI (use PoolMath) should be closer to neutral or even slightly above for the first month.

You might want to speak to your builder about those two items.

To give you an idea, with a water temp of 80, the CSI is already at -0.89. If your water is colder, which I'm assuming it is, the CSI is even lower. Remember, not all builders fully understand water chemistry or give the CSI much thought, but it's something to discuss.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.