First Water Test Results

@Newdude has a method and pic, which I can't find. Use your fingers and slide them up and down the color block so it covers all the other colors while you look at it. Said another way, cover all the other colors except the one you are looking at...cover everything but 7.2 and compare, move to everything covered but 7.4 and compare, move your fingers to cover everything but 7.6 and compare...seems to work for some.
I have seen many devices (widely varying in price) online that are supposed to measure PH. Is there a "TFP approved" device for this sort of thing?

I have seen many devices (widely varying in price) online that are supposed to measure PH. Is there a "TFP approved" device for this sort of thing?
No not really. I bought one and it sadly sits in the drawer. Way quicker to do the water test. Any electronic device for testing needs to be calibrated regularly too, so you have to buy the powder for the test, re-calibrate etc. Trouble free is the mantra. Electronic testers can work with the right calibration/maintenance, but certainly not "Trouble Free." You will get the hang of it. If you want a tester, happy to sell you mine. Used sparingly in mint condition.

Reactions: bgoz98
Go like this, or something similar. It's weird because I needed a free hand to take the pic. It's much better holding with one hand and using the other to block all but one line. Or the thumb from the hold-y hand can block the below value and the other hand/fingers can block above the one you want to see. It makes it so much easier to only have to match one color, without being distracted by above and below it.

20220508_085444.jpg

Last edited:
Go like this, or something similar. It's weird because I needed a free hand to take the pic. It's much better holding with one hand and using the other to block all but one line. It makes it so much easier to only have to match one color, without being distracted by above and below it.

View attachment 407895
Thanks guys! Will definitely give it a try.

Reactions: Newdude
Congrats on the OCLT! :goodjob: As for the salt, don't expect it to go anywhere anytime soon. Chemicals, typically liquid chlorine, can add a little salt with each dose that can accumulate over time. I don't know if that might have been the case before or if perhaps too much was added at one time for the SWG. The easiest way to reduce a salt level is to exchange some water. Salt, just like CH and CYA, are typically lowered by changing some water. Those levels can get lower over the course of the season was overflow or splashout.
Numbers are looking pretty good:

FC 5.5
CC 0.0
CYA 70
PH 7.8 (I plan to add more MA tonight to help with TA)
TA 170
Salt 5000 PPM

So here is my question... I plan to drain and replace some of the water to lower the salt ppm. What is the best method of draining? I have read where some people put their cover pump on a step/ledge vs backwashing at the pump/filter. Also, PoolMath says I need to replace 15% (depending on my target) of the water. This equates to about 7" on the water line for me. Should I do this all at once or reduce 3" and add 3" back, etc? Doing all of it at once would take me below my first step. Is this ok for the liner or will it lead to wrinkles? I plan to replace via spigot/hose and any rain we may get.

You have several options. Since I don't think you are in a major rush, a simple pump tossed in the water will do fine. Some people might have a spigot on their filter at the bottom they can open, or there are those who do it quickly by backwashing to waste. You can go a little at a time or all at once for this scenario. Either option should work fine for you.

You have several options. Since I don't think you are in a major rush, a simple pump tossed in the water will do fine. Some people might have a spigot on their filter at the bottom they can open, or there are those who do it quickly by backwashing to waste. You can go a little at a time or all at once for this scenario. Either option should work fine for you.
Got about half of the calculated gallons drained and replaced. How long should I wait before testing salt levels again?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.