First water test by Leslies. WOW.

Dtkokay

Dec 31, 2019
Houston, Texas
My pool is around 6 weeks old, and my pool builder asked me to periodically have my water tested by Leslies. I'm guessing this is in case I have warranty issues. I've been following the recommended methods here, including using a TF100 test kit and Taylor salt test kit.

Just like I read about here, the guy at Leslies wanted to sell me a bunch of stuff, and their test results were way different than what I get with the TF100 / Taylor. Starting with FC, Leslies reported 7.6 compared to my dropper test at 6. Okay, not crazy different. But Leslies recommends 1-4 ppm of FC regardless of CYA level. AND the salesman wanted to sell me some chemical to drop my FC level. Obviously I said no, because even if my FC was too high, I would just stop adding chlorine and let it burn off naturally in a day or so.

Leslie's pH actually matched my home test, but their calcium reading was 50 higher, CYA was 25 higher, and salt was 550 lower. And of course the sales guy was pushing chemicals to drop my high phosphate level, which Leslies measured at 229 ppb. Sales guy said I should add shock and Perfect Weekly every week.

Needless to say, I didn't buy any chemicals. And how can the pool store's test results be so inaccurate? I trust my home test kits over theirs any day. I've read about pool stores here, but pretty interesting to see it first hand. I suppose that's how they stay in business.

Reactions: lindend
Good job on not falling for any of the traps.

The differences are typical. And the phosphate thing is the most pure profit thing they have for them. At the level they measured, they are absolutely of no consequence.

Reactions: Dtkokay
The Calcium test read higher because he substituted more drops for more mixing. Sometimes when the color seems stuck at indigo, I can run another cycle of the speedstir and push it over. Or I could just add another drop. He chose speed over accuracy. The CYA test was done indoors, where the light isn't as good, so of course it reads higher. Go do the test in a darkened room and I'll bet the dot disappears with three drops of solution in the view tube. I can see a difference in readings if I hold the tube naturally (like a glass) versus just the very top between thumb and forefinger. Light is critical. Chlorine -- sounds like he did it with a large sample and 38 drops, so the margin of error increased. And it's easier to lose count.

There is nothing surprising to me about the erroneous tests, nor about the useless products being sold.

Reactions: Dtkokay
I was talking to one of my neighbors with a pool, who said he’s been having recurring yellow spots in the corners. He brushes them away and they keep coming back. I politely asked him if he knew what his CYA and chlorine levels are. He had no idea, but he’s been spending hundreds at Leslies to combat black algae problems and “high phosphates.”

I explained the relationship between CYA and chlorine, including sending him the chart of cya/FC, and I think a light bulb went off. He said he was going to order a TF100 kit, so hopefully he’ll take control of his pool soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.