First water test after filling

JakeP5253

Aug 29, 2019
Mississippi
We filled the pool a week ago yesterday. The pool builder hasn't officially handed it over to me, and I wasn't here when they put the first batch of chemicals in it so I dont know exactly what they did. I do know that there are 2 chlorine pucks in my skimmers (total of 4). Below are my test results, we are having "pool school" later this week then it will be all on me. Just curious how bad it is looking. Thanks

PH- 8.2+
FC- 10.5
CC- .5
TC- 11
CH- 625
TA- 155
CYA- 35

Last edited:
You didn't post your pH, so you'll want to show us that for sure. What is shocking is the CH number. That's incredibly high for a new fill and what I would think is relatively soft water in your area compared to the southwest. You might double-check that CH test to be sure. If it is that high, someone dumped a ton of Cal-Hypo, calcium and/or both.

Also, take the pucks out of the skimmer and place them in a floater. Pucks are acidic and should never be placed in a skimmer. Congrats on the new pool!

Needs muriatic acid for sure. Use pool math for amount. I assume your SWG is turned off and no salt has been added yet (for 30 days). And yeah wow if those numbers are correct, your builder dumped a lot of CH in. No way to get rid of that accept to drain the pool. Test again!

CH test question....when adding the R-0012 I'm getting little pink floating particles before it turns blue....is this normal or a sign that I'm not mixing well enough? I watched the Taylor video and they dont seem to mix any better than I am doing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah CH has floaties in it. I have to watch very carefully my samples always seem to gradually turn blue. I am always wondering when it actually turned. The speedstir made a big difference especially with the CH test!

Reactions: BowserB
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.