First timer with questions

The other day I tried to vacuum the pool. Once I started the pressure dropped to zero psi, which scared me.
No problem...takes awhile. Pressure gauge can zero out for a minute or two till prime is regained. I'd highly recommend getting a vacuum plate. Works terrific - catches everything instead of it going into the pump strainer / filter.

Am I supposed to do something with the push/pull valve before I vacuum?
No...keep the valve in regular operating position.

I tried vacuuming again this morning. Once I finished I disconnected the hose from the skimmer and then everything I vacuumed shot through the jets back into the pool. There must be some step I'm missing. I'm going to get a vacuum plate, but is there anything I can do in the meantime?

I disconnected the hose from the skimmer and then everything I vacuumed shot through the jets back into the pool.
Trying to figure out why this would happen. Was the pump still running when you disconnected the hose? Assuming the grids were in the tank, everything should have collected somewhere between the pump strainer and the filter. Then, once the pump was turned off (if you even did that - I don't even bother turning it off ever since using the vacuum plate), nothing should have come back in the pool. If the grids wouldn't be in, then it would recirculate whatever you vacuum right back into the return lines. What is your normal operating pressure and is there good flow coming through the returns? Any idea what sort of shape the grids are in? Any holes or tears in the grid material?

Is the pump and filter located at a higher elevation from the pool?
Good thought...but even then I can't imagine why stuff would flow back into the pool. I think it'd be worthwhile to drain the tank and then remove the push-pull valve (simply done by removing the three bolts that attach it). Then, check to see if the two o-rings are in good shape. If one or both of those is compromised, that could result in flow direction issues.

You should not be having water reverse flow when the pump is off. Is the pump and filter located at a higher elevation from the pool?
They're both at the same elevation.
Trying to figure out why this would happen. Was the pump still running when you disconnected the hose? Assuming the grids were in the tank, everything should have collected somewhere between the pump strainer and the filter. Then, once the pump was turned off (if you even did that - I don't even bother turning it off ever since using the vacuum plate), nothing should have come back in the pool. If the grids wouldn't be in, then it would recirculate whatever you vacuum right back into the return lines. What is your normal operating pressure and is there good flow coming through the returns? Any idea what sort of shape the grids are in? Any holes or tears in the grid material?

Good thought...but even then I can't imagine why stuff would flow back into the pool. I think it'd be worthwhile to drain the tank and then remove the push-pull valve (simply done by removing the three bolts that attach it). Then, check to see if the two o-rings are in good shape. If one or both of those is compromised, that could result in flow direction issues.
The pump was running when I disconnected the hose. Normal operating pressure is at 6, however when I vacuum it goes down to 0 and stays at 0 until I disconnect the hose. The grids looked to be in good shape.
Is the pump pot full of water when you first turn it on or is their an air bubble or gap at the top?
I added a bucket of water when the pump was started for the first time this year two weeks ago. I'll double check it again today to make sure there's water in there. I do hear bubbling sounds coming from the filter once the vacuum hose is disconnected.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.