First Timer Ready for a Safety Cover

May 27, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Should I call the pool guy? hahaha j/k I know the rules around here. So I'm wondering a few things about installing my first safety cover. First off, I mean installing from scratch. We've previously had water bags and a tarp. I should also mention this will be my first time closing the pool myself.

1. What should I expect to pay for everything I need? Is there a complete kit with all the anchors and everything?
  2. What cover or type of cover should I buy (I live in Wisconsin it freezes and also lots of trees.)
  3. Any tips or tricks? Thing to look out for?

This move is motivated by the pool guys doing a LOUSY job closing our pool last year, and the cover falling in after about a month.... and them not answering our calls. I took 5-6 wheel barrows of leaves out this spring. Oh, and I forgot to mention, the kid and the dog like to play on the "frozen" pool cover sometimes too!!!

So long story short we're trying to cut down on maintenance and increase safety.

Any and all tips are appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

Regarding a safety cover, In The Swim Discount Pool Supplies - Swimming Pool Supply Store is a good place to start. They will sell you everything, but you have to drill for the anchors. I personally have a tarp. The key to a tarp is to provide slack (1' all the way around) so cover does not pull in. Also, any sharp objects should be removed off the cover. Pump water off (most of it) as often as you can. Any sharp pool edges should have more slack. My cover has been around for 3 years with little damage.

Regarding closing your pool, I can help. Will send you some links and would suggest you read some of my posts from last September to November on closing. Please upload some pictures of your equipment and also what type of blower or compressor were you thinking of using? Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.